Fodder seed recommendations?

The article is better organized - a'la Day One, Day Two, etc. but the pictures were asked for so I gave them. :D

I'm visual too, but I didn't want to bore folks to tears with pictures of itty-bitty sprouts.

yea i saw that same thing in farmtex,i want to have that system so bad but don't have that much livestock/polutry
.Seem to b a neat idea

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;ft1_fodder_systems.html

Fodder & Hydroponic Systems

Optimize the general health and performance of your animals and livestock, while minimizing feed costs. The Fodder-Pro Feed System allows you to grow your own nutrient-rich fodder for just pennies a pound. FarmTek also offers hydroponic growing systems, aeroponic systems, hydroponic gardening equipment, NFT channels, hydroponics gardening supplies and plant grow lights. Hydroponically grown plants grow up to 50% faster and produce higher yields of better quality vegetables, fruits, herbs and flowers. Hydroponic growing removes the need for soil, eliminating soil-borne diseases and pests, weeds, and the use of herbicides and pesticides, while producing 10 times the amount of vegetables as traditional farming. Hydroponic systems also reduce water waste and the amount of natural resources needed to grow while allowing complete control over climate, nutrients and growing conditions.

now to come up with 2k to make it a venture for IRS write downs

Is there any soil in your bins or fertilizer in the water? Or just plain water and the seeds left to grow? I have an extra little greenhouse that I would love to do this with.

Is there any soil in your bins or fertilizer in the water? Or just plain water and the seeds left to grow? I have an extra little greenhouse that I would love to do this with.

There is no soil in the bins, no fertilizer in the water. All you do is water the seeds several times a day. :D I wrote up a great article (if I do say so myself) with day by day instructions on how to do this!

We lucked out- we have a organic seed store near us and they do ship-

They have nearly everything - alfalfa, buckwheat, barley, oats, peas, beans and sunflower in bulk. Though mainly organic - they also have conventional seed. Ask them for what you are looking for as we make our own mix and haven't found a better place.

They also have the minerals in bulk if you add kelp, calcium or grit to your fodder.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who want to know what the basic fodder system is-
Besides that it saves a TON of $ - it also gives chickens better food. Add some minerals and you have the besy food your chickens can eat.

Here's a basic of how-to make fodder-

Get your seeds. Mixes for birds should be high in protein so go with things like beans (not soy). peas (green or yellow), alfalfa, and I add some chia.
Add your grasses - oats (not first choice but do-able), wheat, barley, rye or corn (yes - corn should sprout). Buckwheat and other available seeds can also be added.
Add a booster of sunflower, flax . . .or chia (hey - I like chia!).
For layers - get calcium ready. For both meat & layers- have some azomite or kelp around to increase mineral content.

The system you use will depend on how many chickens you are feeding-
For:
a few chickens - use a mason jar and nylon screen (cut up a nylon and screw it on a jar)
a dozen chickens - a Auto-Fodder-Feeder could work.
a lot of chickens - you will need a shelving system, trays, a water catch basin on the bottom and most likely a automatic pump system.

To start- soak a 10th of the size of the container of seeds overnight. then start rinsing the seeds 2 - 3 times a day for 6-7 days. Add some minerals/kelp and calcium before feeding.

Better food at a fraction of the cost.

Back
Top Bottom