Foot and leg injury thread

This afternoon, my husband noticed some blood on the ground...upon further inspection, my daughter noticed a bloody spot on the inside of one of our crested duck's legs (in the groin area, where the leg meets the body). The duck does not appear in pain, and she is not bleeding a lot (looks like she stopped bleeding). Are there any stress habits or grooming habits that might result in this type of injury? None of our other birds appear to pay any extra attention to the injured duck, either. We're going to wait and watch to see how things go.

- TieDyeMommy

Looks like you have the correct plan in place. Treat the wound and watch...
The only thing i can think of is that something was itching her and she bit it. Good luck!

-FluffyPuff

Last edited:
Thank you FluffyPuff!
thumbsup.gif

I wish I could tell our three white Crested ducks apart, because one of them had the bleeding leg earlier...and last night/tonight one of them was grooming themselves so much they had feathers sticking out of their bill. I couldn't see if it was the same duck. Could she be over-grooming due to stress, or a cut, or a bite of some kind? Does the extra grooming (compared to the other ducks) mean the injury is itchy/something to be seriously concerned about?
hu.gif

- TieDyeMommy

I wish I could tell our three white Crested ducks apart, because one of them had the bleeding leg earlier...and last night/tonight one of them was grooming themselves so much they had feathers sticking out of their bill.  I couldn't see if it was the same duck.  Could she be over-grooming due to stress, or a cut, or a bite of some kind?  Does the extra grooming (compared to the other ducks) mean the injury is itchy/something to be seriously concerned about?  :confused:

- TieDyeMommy

You should not be concerned too much but the over grooming but it might be due to mites. It could also be stress but then again I have never had ducks. Only chickens! Play the waiting game and if many ducks are doing it then its probably mites.

i noticed her foot/leg being black and swollen like this a few days ago, but i think its been this way for a while. she also has a small, barely noticeable limp. thanks for your thoughts!

I have a little chick that just hatched today. It couldn't get out on its own, and I gave it several hours before I stepped in. I think the other chicks rolled the egg around and caused it to jostle around and hurt itself. I think it has a broken leg at the hock joint, and he cannot extend it on his own. There is an open lesion at the joint, and we tried to bring it forward to straighten it, and the lesion begins to bleed. He can still move his toes, so I have hope, and he has a lot of energy to move around. Does any one have advice to help?

I have a little chick that just hatched today.  It couldn't get out on its own, and I gave it several hours before I stepped in.  I think the other chicks rolled the egg around and caused it to jostle around and hurt itself.  I think it has a broken leg at the hock joint, and he cannot extend it on his own.  There is an open lesion at the joint, and we tried to bring it forward to straighten it, and the lesion begins to bleed.  He can still move his toes, so I have hope, and he has a lot of energy to move around.  Does any one have advice to help? 

Well definitely don't do whatever you did to make it bleed... My advice is not to immediately bend it but instead make a brace and slowly allow the defect to correct itself. If anything worsens, contact a vet.

Back
Top Bottom