For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
Mine have started their first hard molt. My astrolorps were first. Went out there in the morning, black feathers everywhere. Her pin feathers are unfurling, the comb is normal. They kinda blowout the old feathers. I noticed the old turn dull, and the new are so vibrant in color.My girls that had been wearing saddles are feathering out nicely since I got my hen/rooster ratio right. They had been bald backed since spring.

Also I include flax seed, and bee pollen in my feed. Really is good for their digestion and their feathers.bee pollen is a "super" food. Not cheap, but anything for my girls.

I haven't gone through a molt yet. My oldest chickens are a year and half. I am expecting them to molt this year. my other girls are only 5 months old so I am assuming they wil molt next year.

u are beautiful, like the sense of humor as well, new at this even though my grandmother used to have everything including cows and pigs. I am a dilettante, doing it just because, not a lot of space living in the city, but 1/2 acre is plenty for 4 dogs and five chickens and a very happy owner. :0))

You can tell if they aren't laying by feeling under the vent for 2 pointy bones. If they are close together, they aren't laying. The pin bones on laying hens will be at least two fingers wide.

My original three BRs from 2012 have not molted yet. They started laying in early October 2012 and haven't lost their feathers yet. Only one is currently laying at all, maybe twice a week. There are no tell tail signs of a molt whatsoever.
Anybody else experience a three-year, no-molt interval?

My girls started their first molt around 3 weeks ago. Actually it think it really started around 2 weeks earlier than that.
They stopped laying overnight....but if bought them feed especially for hens who are molting. Their egg production has picked up. Is it okay to ask that of them during their molt? I don't want them to be stressed because it need eggs for the family and the need that energy to molt.

My original three BRs from 2012 have not molted yet. They started laying in early October 2012 and haven't lost their feathers yet. Only one is currently laying at all, maybe twice a week. There are no tell tail signs of a molt whatsoever.
Anybody else experience a three-year, no-molt interval?
Are you positive they haven't molted? It can be pretty subtle, other than a lot of feathers laying around - but sometimes they eat they feathers so you don't even see that.

My girls started their first molt around 3 weeks ago. Actually it think it really started around 2 weeks earlier than that.
They stopped laying overnight....but if bought them feed especially for hens who are molting. Their egg production has picked up. Is it okay to ask that of them during their molt? I don't want them to be stressed because it need eggs for the family and the need that energy to molt.
They won't lay unless their bodies can handle it and the hormones dictate it, the extra protein allows them to lay and molt.

Back
Top Bottom