For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics

Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
They say pictures are worth a thousand words, so I thought I'd share my picture for all those new to chicken raising on what it looks like when a chicken molts.

Now keep in mind, this hen is going through a very hard molt. (she didn't molt this badly last year) She's a 2 1/2 year old Sicilian Buttercup. You can also see that her comb is shriveled up.

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

My girls are visible to the whole neighbourhood (we get heaps of people walking past our yard with their kids to show them the chickens), so if this is what moulting is gonna be like I think I'll have to get a sign up when it happens so they don't call the council and report us for keeping diseased birds LOL.

Maybe something like:

"Please don't laugh at the moulting chickens - everyone has a bad hair day now and then"

Last edited:
Angie - I'm not sure why you can't see the pictures.

RedDrgn - She certainly doesn't like to be touched, so getting a sweater on her isn't an option. You pick her up and she feels like a porcupine. I had one girl molt last year during the worst cold snap we had in December. It was in the 20's and snow/ice around. She had very little feathers and I was concerned about her. I went out after they were roosting and found her crammed between 2 of the poofiest girls, so they were keeping her nice and toasty.
lol.png

Just thought I'd update this thread. My buttercup is mostly filled back in now (and has been for several weeks). She's not yet laying again - her comb is still shriveled and she's still regrowing in some hackle feathers. She's puffed up here because it was cold here the morning I took the picture.

IMG_4491.jpg

Back
Top Bottom