For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
They say pictures are worth a thousand words, so I thought I'd share my picture for all those new to chicken raising on what it looks like when a chicken molts.

Now keep in mind, this hen is going through a very hard molt. (she didn't molt this badly last year) She's a 2 1/2 year old Sicilian Buttercup. You can also see that her comb is shriveled up.

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg
Yikes! Thanks for the warning. My 2 ladies are about a year old & have not molted
They say pictures are worth a thousand words, so I thought I'd share my picture for all those new to chicken raising on what it looks like when a chicken molts.

Now keep in mind, this hen is going through a very hard molt. (she didn't molt this badly last year) She's a 2 1/2 year old Sicilian Buttercup. You can also see that her comb is shriveled up.

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg
Yikes! My 2 ladies are about a year old & haven't molted. I suppose they will do so when the weather turns cool lol?

What do people do when their chicken is molting in wintertime? Mine are most likely due to molt this winter, and I just want to know if I need a heater or anything. This year has been cooler than most (it snowed twice! That's a pretty big deal in tx), so I am just wondering about their well-being.

That makes sense now. Why do they keep running old material? It is still pertinent information for us newbies but I don’t check each date of each post obviously especially at the wee hours of the morning. They ought to close them for replies if they are so out of date also. That way the out of date police would have less to do. I am just trying to learn stuff and keep the conversation going like anyone else would be.
You'd have to take the up with the administrators by starting a thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/

I have a 2 year old Barred Rock who has never molted. I have a 10 month old Maran who has 10 day old chicks and she is losing a lot of feathers (no bare spots). Cleaned and disinfected coop and saw no signs of insects. Everyone looks healthy. Is this a soft molt for my Maran? Also is it normal that my other hen has not molted to my knowledge?

OK--saw this thread in the Best (Worst) Molt contest.....

I have had 2 chickens molt both over the winter last year when they were around 9 months or so. 4 have not molted at all, so I suspect in the next few weeks I will be seeing feathers!

I do have a hen that just hatched out chicks 2.5 weeks ago. She has never molted either (hatched March 2021) and is starting to lose a lot of feathers on the back of her neck. Lots out in the coop, is she molting? Pretty sure I see nice pin feathers coming in on her pink skin. I know extra protein is best but she is still at the stage where she gives the chicks most of the food she 'finds' and doesn't fully eat. I don't want to separate her to feed her from the chicks so are the chicks fine getting some tuna, eggs, etc?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom