Fostering some chickens, anybody mind helping with their sexes?

ark3422

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
I have a friend who is going through a divorce and I have agreed to foster a mom hen and her 9 chicks while the friend's house is being cleaned out for sale. They are 3 months old and they are mixed breeds all over, but I definitely see what I think is some silkie in them. I have them offered up for adoption but people want to know the sexes because roosters make noise or cannot be kept where they are currently located. I have taken down the information for adoption until I can get this sorted.

I did as much homework as I could on breeds and sexing on things like hackles, saddles feathers, tail feathers, etc. I have included pics below, each bird is numbered and what I think each is. I know a sure fire way to tell is see which ones crow and which ones lay but they haven't reached that point yet. Anyway, I was pointed here for direction so I am hopeful somebody can give me some good input.

Here are the pics:

Thanks for the feedback and taking a look. I honestly can't believe I got that many right. On that note, what did I miss on the grey/black one that says it is a pullet? Also, I was unsure on Roo 4 honestly but both of you say it is a rooster. What gives that one away?

Thanks for the feedback and taking a look. I honestly can't believe I got that many right. On that note, what did I miss on the grey/black one that says it is a pullet? Also, I was unsure on Roo 4 honestly but both of you say it is a rooster. What gives that one away?
Her coloration is gender specific. Females being Pencilled/laced in the breast.

Plus she would have silver patches on her shoulders, & pointed saddles by now if she were a male.

Back
Top Bottom