Found a grave on our new property

If you dug up his remains, you may want to contact this place to see what you need to do.

State of New Hampshire
Dept. of Cultural Resources
19 Pillsbury Street
Concord, NH 03301-3570
603-271-3483 / 603-271-3558
[email protected]

I work with dead ppl all day and specialize in forensic anthropology so I know a little about human remains.
smile.png

Give me a shovel and an old grave and I'd be one happy camper!
wee.gif
I love dead ppl and old things, so a really really old dead person is right up my alley!!

I don't find this morbid at all. We're all gonna end up there at some point. KWIM?

If you can find out where he was born, then you should be able to find out his parents names from the Parish records. All parishes were legally required to keep records on births and deaths that happened in their area, which I believe started in the 16 or 1700s.

Also, www.ancestry.co.uk has a 14 day free trial, and I have heard good things about it

Quote:
Unless you have an exumation permit by court order, any grave, no matter how old, it is illegal to tamper with them knowingly. This is true for most states in the US.

Absolutely. But I'm lucky in that I get to do that as part of my job when there is a discovery of buried human remains that are not in a legal grave.

Last edited:
When there's a legally bought plot for a burial. I'm talking about a homcide victim or a natural death out in the woods that over time was covered by debris. I guess I wasn't making myself clear..sorry!

But the point of this thread is the discovery of Old Thomas!

If your land is far from town this could be a family cemetery and the other markers you found are Thomas Jackson family.

Some idle thoughts, some one wondered what side he was on during the Revolutionary war....I think it's quite possible he came here after the war. The marker says 'native of England', for some one to remember to put that on the headstone of an 80 year old would mean he had to have had told people of some stories growing up/living over there. If he came here as a baby or toddler with no cognisant memories of England it would seem unlikely he'd even mention he was born there especially as he got older.

It would be interesting to know his history in regards to the war as at the time of "the shot heard round the world' he was 12, and 20 when the war ended. Makes one wonder, did he come over here as a soldier in his late teens maybe, then after the war decide to stay?

Hmm, to have lived to 80 back then was very very very old. Must have been one heck of a strong (willed and physical) man.

Back
Top Bottom