Found abandoned duckling. Its very afraid.

Julzz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Hi!
I found and abandoned duckling about 2 weeks ago. It was about a week old I'm guessing. I read a lot about taking care of it. It's drinking and eating well.
BUT, its still soooo scared of me! Even when I just come close to its "home" it hides, it runs, etc. When I put my arm in the container to change its water or give him food, it starts running all over the place.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I could help it be less afraid of me? He seems so miserable... but it's still too young to let it go back into the wild, it will probably die...

Please help!

Welcome to BYC!
Going to be tough keep it and release it. Best advice was to find a wild life rehabber or an animal shelter that takes fowl. If it becomes dependent on you, releasing is not going to be a good option for it.
Good luck and thank you for saving this little one.

The rehab center that I found is more than 4 hours away from where I live. I called the vets and natural resources and they won't do anything. This little guy deserves the best, if I have to, I'll keep him safe for as long as it lives... But we do have very harsh winters here and as I said, he's still very afraid of my presence.. I kind of feel stuck !

Heres a picture of when I found the little guy (or girl)

The rehab center that I found is more than 4 hours away from where I live. I called the vets and natural resources and they won't do anything. This little guy deserves the best, if I have to, I'll keep him safe for as long as it lives... But we do have very harsh winters here and as I said, he's still very afraid of my presence.. I kind of feel stuck !
Call the rehab center they maybe willing to meet you half way. sometimes they have people traveling that will take animals to a different location. So you never know till you try. If you have harsh winters and your wild duck is one that migrates you may end up having to keep it inside to keep it alive. Especially if it's by itself.

I think that maybe a Muscovy duckling, Do you have Muscovy's living near by? they don't migrate. unless you live in Texas... Does the lil one have a stuffed animal to cuddle with and also a non breakable mirror will help it feel secure.Does it have a pointed tip to it's bill?

here is some info on caring for ducklings.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:

It could be either a wild/tame muacovy, a wild/tame mallard, or a roeun.
@miss ladia, I agree, does it have a painted bean. The bean is the end of the bill. If not, then maybe a mallard.

What I mean by tame is that its parents were domestic while it was abandoned.

It could be either a wild/tame muacovy, a wild/tame mallard, or a roeun.
@miss ladia, I agree, does it have a painted bean. The bean is the end of the bill. If not, then maybe a mallard.

What I mean by tame is that its parents were domestic while it was abandoned.
Doesn't have the Mallard eye stripe.

Back
Top Bottom