FOUND Peahen peafowl peacock West Chicago Illinois

Thank you! You taught me how to sex young BS, now I can study my Cameos, I don't think I have seen any barring on any of them and have often wondered about your comment of Barred Wing. They don't have any barring on their wings like IBs unless the barring is light cream color.

Thank you! You taught me how to sex young BS, now I can study my Cameos, I don't think I have seen any barring on any of them and have often wondered about your comment of Barred Wing. They don't have any barring on their wings like IBs unless the barring is light cream color.

Bill, how many adult Cameo hens did you have laying this past summer? And you are very welcome, just keep in mind nothing is 100%, I was fooled by a dark pied IB this past summer, would have sworn he was a she for a long time!
wink.png

Last edited:
Bill, how many adult Cameo hens did you have laying this past summer? And you are very welcome, just keep in mind nothing is 100%, I was fooled by a dark pied IB this past summer, would have sworn he was a she for a long time!
wink.png

Seven, but I don't know how many actually were laying. They gave me ten chicks in either Cameo, Cameo Pied, or Cameo BS. Three of them are still on wire, a concern I hope to alleviate today when I get the new brooder building enclosed. If I understand our previous conversations a Cameo hen will not throw a Cameo chick unless the cock is also carrying Cameo. If that is correct then the cocks to these chicks are either IBBS/Cameo or IB Pied WE / Cameo.

I thought about taking pictures today as it is a nice overcast day but they are mostly wet from drizzle and dirty with mud. I am going to move the colored chicks from the overcrowded grow out pen to the new inside accommodations too, that should help a lot.

It a good thing I put rings on my purples, I am having some problem telling them apart from some of the Cameos. And SweePea is getting bars on her tail...

Seven, but I don't know how many actually were laying. They gave me ten chicks in either Cameo, Cameo Pied, or Cameo BS. Three of them are still on wire, a concern I hope to alleviate today when I get the new brooder building enclosed. If I understand our previous conversations a Cameo hen will not throw a Cameo chick unless the cock is also carrying Cameo. If that is correct then the cocks to these chicks are either IBBS/Cameo or IB Pied WE / Cameo.

I thought about taking pictures today as it is a nice overcast day but they are mostly wet from drizzle and dirty with mud. I am going to move the colored chicks from the overcrowded grow out pen to the new inside accommodations too, that should help a lot.

It a good thing I put rings on my purples, I am having some problem telling them apart from some of the Cameos. And SweePea is getting bars on her tail...

I'm fairly sure from the pics I've seen that your SweePea is a hen. If she is getting bars on her tail they will fade eventually. My purples had it faintly their first year, now all they have are the slight speckles.

Purple hen at 7 months, you can see some slight bars on the train feathers.

Same Purple hen at 15 months. Bars are gone.

I'm fairly sure from the pics I've seen that your SweePea is a hen. If she is getting bars on her tail they will fade eventually. My purples had it faintly their first year, now all they have are the slight speckles.

Purple hen at 7 months, you can see some slight bars on the train feathers.

Same Purple hen at 15 months. Bars are gone.

Thanks! That is a relief. I believe that her parentage dictated that she be a hen but the barring made me wonder. When I get my 'colored' birds moved to a cleaner environment I will post a photo bomb, we might be seeing something new and it's about time to look at that IB chick with the white crest feathers again...

Back
Top Bottom