Fowl Pox?

CDS85:

Mine each seemed to only have one miserable day and several days they felt a little punk. None of them died.

I don't know if it helped but I put some raw honey in their water.
Jen

Don't disturb the scabs, since it can spread the disease. You can paint some iodine on them to help dry them out. If the one is bleeding, you could separate her for a day or two, and try to make sure that she is eating and drinking well. Look inside her throat with a light since wet pox can cause yellow lesions inside the throat, trachea, and esophagus, and is more dangerous.

Last edited:
Thank you Eggcessive and Jenpretrovich65.
What about antibiotics for respiratory problems? Which ones should I get or be the best for that? I think one at least might be coming down with a respiratory infection.

For respiratory diseases, Tylan 50 injectable is good for oral or injectable use in breast the muscle, or if the chicken is drinking well enough, you can use oxytetracycline, Gallimycin, or Tylan Soluble Powder in the water. Dosage if Tylan 50 injectable is 1 ml for a 5 lb chicken once or twice a day for 5 days by mouth, or 3 days if giving shots. Since many respiratory diseases are viral, antibiotics may not help, but if there is swollen eyes and thick nasal drainage, antibiotics would help. Here is a good link to compare your symptoms--look at infectious bronchitis, MG, ILT, and coryza symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I assume that you intend on cooking your eggs. If that is the case then they will be safe. Your eggs will properly be OK anyway because the Pox in chickens is different from chicken pox in humans. oxytetracycline, Gallimycin, or Tylan are useless for treating pox because it is a viral disease and at best antibiotics will only work on bacteria, although Tylan etc. may prevent opportunistic bacterial infections in a weakened bird.

Is this fowl pox?

I have
a trio that has dry pox they are a little over a week into it so not that much longer until it runs it's course hopefully.. but my question is my rooster has a scab on his nostril clearly blocking the air way I was wondering if it would hurt him it I picked it off. I have heard of people doing this.. what do yall say about it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom