FOX attacks two hens who failed to get inside my Coop automatic chicken door.

What needs to be made with these door motors is a photo eye. That way you don't have to keep changing the timer, its self correcting.
They do make with them light sensors either built in or as an accessory, not sure what kind you have or if you could retrofit one on to your system or not.

I would think you could figure it out tho, you have an electric and/or engineering background don't you?

Good Luck!

They do make with them light sensors either built in or as an accessory, not sure what kind you have or if you could retrofit one on to your system or not.

I would think you could figure it out tho, you have an electric and/or engineering background don't you?

Good Luck!
The problem lies that the drapery motor needs the power to be turned on and then off each time... At morning and night. IE. the time is set to go off at say 7 AM and then turned off at 7:05. That way at 8 PM when it gets power it opens. Im sure you could create a circuit board to do this, it just seems no one has just yet.

Sorry you lost a couple birds.

Check out the ADOR automatic chicken door. Only door I'm aware of designed from the ground up to actually be a chicken door, and not some hobbled together Rude Goldberg contraption.

Rod is an electronics engineer and designed game cameras, and used his knowledge of these to design and build his door. I've had mine for several months - and has worked perfectly since install. My birds are always in the coop long before dark and the door closes. You can adjust the light sensitivity, but I have no need to. Very well designed product, and one of the cheapest automatic doors on the market. Comes standard with photocell, and will run for over a year on a 6 volt lantern battery - no AC required. Motor is selected specifically for low current (longer battery life). Stainless steel door. This is not paid endorsement, either....LOL www.adorsore.com

In the video, I noticed the fox fell through the 'netting' - was it chicken wire or avian netting? Just curious. Also - were the two birds chronic in not making it into the coop, or was this an unlucky one-time occurence?

Sorry you lost a couple birds. Check out the ADOR automatic chicken door. Only door I'm aware of designed from the ground up to actually be a chicken door, and not some hobbled together Rude Goldberg contraption. Rod is an electronics engineer and designed game cameras, and used his knowledge of these to design and build his door. I've had mine for several months - and has worked perfectly since install. My birds are always in the coop long before dark and the door closes. You can adjust the light sensitivity, but I have no need to. Very well designed product, and one of the cheapest automatic doors on the market. Comes standard with photocell, and will run for over a year on a 6 volt lantern battery - no AC required. Motor is selected specifically for low current (longer battery life). Stainless steel door. This is not paid endorsement, either....LOL www.adorsore.com In the video, I noticed the fox fell through the 'netting' - was it chicken wire or avian netting? Just curious. Also - were the two birds chronic in not making it into the coop, or was this an unlucky one-time occurence?
Thanks for the website, will check it out. Roof had 7' wide deer neeting. Works great, except for the overlapping i did with zip ties. Tried to tighten that up. These two hens were typically the last ones in, but the days getting longer without updating the timer. I've attached a video of my entire coop setup FYI.

Thanks for the website, will check it out. Roof had 7' wide deer neeting. Works great, except for the overlapping i did with zip ties. Tried to tighten that up. These two hens were typically the last ones in, but the days getting longer without updating the timer. I've attached a video of my entire coop setup FYI.

Maybe put a wireless battery-powered motion detector in the coop area which can trigger an outlet accessory inside the house. Plug a radio into the outlet accessory as an audible alert. I've seen the wireless motion detector paired with the outlet accessory in the big box stores. Another option is the wireless motion detecting driveway alert. The Driveway Alert put out by Swann is an example which gives an audible alarm inside the house. The issue I see is having the motion detector activate during the day when the birds are active.

Lowes Home Improvement has a new line of wireless security devices called IRIS which can send alerts and camera video to your smart phone. The wireless accessories and hub require a broadband internet connection and include motion detectors, water leak detectors, indoor & outdoor cameras, senior care pendants. an 85 dB siren, carbon monoxide/smoke detectors, thermostat, and Schlage lever door knobs. I called Lowes customer service today about the IRIS battery powered Pet Door, but it has not been approved for release just yet. The rep said the door uses D batteries and is made by a company called Petsmart. He said the pet door did make a popping sound when it opened and might scare the pet (chickens) until they got used to it. Anyone know if the batteries would be damaged by freezing weather?

Back
Top Bottom