foxes, rabies and eggs

merryreader

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
The beautiful State of Maine!
My hens came into contact with a fox 3 days ago. The 2 I found alive had direct enough contact, maybe bites(didn't see any), but 1 was in his mouth. Most likely the fox was feeding babies, but what if?? He could have been carrying rabies . Would that transmit to the eggs. Would you guys eat them? Maybe I'm being too cautious. The fox looked healthy. Merry

Tissues or milk from a rabid animal should not be used for human or animal consumption. However, pasteurization and cooking temperatures will inactivate rabies virus. Therefore, drinking pasteurized milk or eating cooked meat from a rabid animal does not constitute a rabies exposure, should it inadvertently occur.

Livestock bitten by a known or suspect rabid animal may be slaughtered within 7 days of the bite, provided that liberal portions of the exposed area are discarded. Under federal guidelines, animals presented for slaughter greater than 7 days and less than 8 months after exposure to a known or suspect rabid animal are rejected for slaughter.

I think I answered my own question. Merry

Back
Top Bottom