Free chick from McMurray

Mine arrived safe and sound yesterday morning! Well, one has some sort of injury. Her legs didn't work right. She couldn't stand up, legs off to the side and if we did manage to get her on her feet, she fell over. I really thought she was going to die but we brought her in for a while anyway. Then yesterday evening we returned her to the rest of the babies. Being with them seemed to perk her up a bit. Even so, I was pretty sure I would find a dead chick come morning. This morning she's still alive. Kind of hobbling now (which is an improvement), I actually saw her eat and drink on her own. Sometimes the other chicks knock her down and trample over her, and sometimes she falls over for no reason, but Miss Determined manages to get back on her feet on her own now and go back to her wobbly hobbling. So I guess we'll see. I'm still not convinced she will make it, but she's giving it a solid go. I would move her and one or two other chicks to a different spot so it would be easier for her, but we only have two heat lamps. One is over her hatch mates and one is over the baby geese.

I have no idea which one is the mystery chick. They all get so excited and charge around when I'm trying to look them all over closely, that I try to stay away unless I'm refilling water and food. Normally the excited dashing about isn't a problem, but when the whole bunch trample Miss Determined in the process...well I figured it was best to wait.

In the meantime, I ordered more chicks. They finally had some Delawares! So I ordered five of them and rounded out the order with meat chicks for the freezer.

Last edited:
We made another order, supposed to be here on the 23rd of this month. I ordered an EE pullet and some Phoenixes.
ya.gif
I'm addicted...

It's soo hard to tell when they look like that!
smile.png
I see you have some little top hats in there. I ordered some of those in my order this past February. As they were beginning to get their feathers on their heads, they started getting picked on. It got so bad that I had to separate my top hats from my other chicks. Just wanted to give you a heads up so you could keep an eye on yours.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom