Free ranging debeaked pullets?

cwenbass

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Just got my first little flock. I did not ask, stupid me, if they were debeaked. I was so excited to find a farm that had the birds I wanted. I went there, they gave them to me in a box. I didn't even open it until I got home. Bebeaked, but now they re mine. Will they able to free range with their
Beaks?

You know, I think I would keep them in a coop/run for a while. Unless they were free ranged before. Going from a very confined situation (generally the reason for de-beaking a bird) to wide open spaces will be very stressful for these birds. I think I might even keep them two days in just the coop, then open it up to be their choice to go to the run or coup and wait a couple of weeks until they are truly comfortable in the run, and then slowly let them out into the free range situation.

They may make very easy prey targets because they were not raised in the open. Time will tell.

Big thing, don't rush them, they are not going to be used to a great deal of space, and what chickens are not used to, scares them.

MrsK

Have been in run/coop only for 3 days. I m going to open up gate in a few days. Already had incident with dog jail breaking into door as I tried to get in so she needs to be trained. My concern is with them
Being able to peck because lack of beaks

The best you can do is let them out and see how it goes. Keep feed available to them so you know they're getting something to eat.

Last edited:
My debeaked pullets had a hard time at first with free ranging. But after much practice, they can free range just as well as my other chickens!

Back
Top Bottom