Free ranging question…

I do not free range my girls. I have 6 and 4 of them are 7 months old, the other two are 5 months. We have hawks and owls that fly over us daily. They have a big protected run (10 x 14’), so they get plenty of outside time. Anyone free ranging? I am curious as to whether I am just being over protective or should leave it as is. Thanks
Hi Midim
We free range our hens and we were prepared to accept the loss to predators in order to give them a large area to forage. We had a near miss with a fox but managed to drive him off. We started with 8 hens, 2 simply disappeared on separate occasions, 2 died of sour crop and we lost 2 to feral dogs. So we have two left. When they go onto chicken heaven we will get a enclosed run and use our electric fence to extend it. Our hens were rescue hens so were due for slaughter before we got them so we have extended their life by 18 months which we feel was worth it, however it is distressing picking up a carcass after dogs have ravaged it. Always a risk and hate to see them enclosed

We have 3 acres that they get to free range for about 4 hours a day we have lots of flying pray and land pray since we are in the woods we have lots of structures he have placed all over the property if they see anything in the sky they usually go hangout in one of them till it's gone same with our ducks they each have a 20 by 30 ft fully enclosed run for when they aren't free ranging which is usually if no one is home we don't leave them out if no ones home

I have chickens that are mixed breeds. You name it, it’s probably in there somewhere. None have crests and all are standard size. I have never left my chickens in a run, even when they were without a rooster for a short period. Even the broodies get out and about with their chicks.

A rooster will usually watch for predators and alert the flock to danger. When we had no rooster, the top two hens took over the role and did a good job. In my opinion standing there to supervise doesn’t make any difference; there are plenty of stories here on BYC where the human was right there, but the hawk or coyote got away with the goods anyway.

In my opinion flocks that spend their time out and about learn what to watch for and are better equipped to handle the situation. There’s nothing like experience as a teacher. Note that I have a LOT of cover available for my flock in the form bushes and small trees. Also, there are very few dead ends in the yard where they could be trapped with no escape.

If you go the free range route you do need to be prepared for losses. If you don’t ever want losses, you probably shouldn’t let them out and keep them in a run.
This is our situation too! 5 hens & 1 rooster who were already adults & used to free-ranging when they adopted us. We kept them in a fenced small pasture ( not predator proof, but the coop is) & realized over time that they were not as healthy as they could be. We went back to free-ranging, and the eggs are much better. The rooster keeps the girls safe. One hen came back to the coop missing tail feathers, but that’s it. We don’t let the hens get broody, and won’t be replacing any chickens. We live very rurally, mixed woodlands and fields. The chickens are always in view of the house or outbuildings. And we don’t free-range if we’re not going to be home.

I do not free range my girls. I have 6 and 4 of them are 7 months old, the other two are 5 months. We have hawks and owls that fly over us daily. They have a big protected run (10 x 14’), so they get plenty of outside time. Anyone free ranging? I am curious as to whether I am just being over protective or should leave it as is. Thanks
We live where hawks, eagles and owls fly over. Even nest. We built hoop homes, added bird wiring in the 1 acre run and they are fine. We let them out daily. They all, turkeys, ducks, chickens, geese come to the front porch, waiting for their fresh veggies and stay there. We have 3 big dogs to protect them as well.

I used to free range my 4 girls, but after they went to our neighbors, I panicked as they have beautiful flowers and landscaping so that was it. We live in the country and they have plenty of land but choose to go over there. We also have all sorts of wild animals and hawks and would have to run and try and get them in the run when we would see one. They have their hut, their run, and a netted fenced in outside area which we will be putting a permanent roof on next year. We put a thick plastic all around their run and have a milk house heater in their hut in one of their nesting boxes only when it really starts getting cold. We manage that with a temp gauge that also gives us the read out in the house so we know if it is above freezing out there. Never have had any health problems so feel our decision to not let them free range was the right one. They get spoiled throughout the day with salads, corn, watermelon, and mealy worms and some cat food for Xtra protein in the winter. They also have a pan with wood or coal ash in for their baths when they can't do a dirt bath out in their open area. I think you have to do what you are comfortable with. They enjoy sitting and watching us outside and talk to us. My dog goes to check on them all the time. Good luck to whatever you decide.

I think it's personal choice. I pasture-range my two flocks, so they have lots of room to wander about (with trees and places to hide if necessary) but I can't free-range them completely. The predators (aerial and ground) would think it's a buffet.
Do what feels right and works for you.

I free range for an hour or two a day. I sit out there with them with my air pellet gun and a stick in case something comes near. A few chicken hawks have thought about flying a little closer but with me standing there they don't bother.
I like the pellet gun idea but I know I'm not fast enough to hit something moving. I free range for an hour or so also staying close to them because I have had a near miss from a hawk when I was too far away. The rest of the time they are in a ¼ acre uncovered run with trees and structures they can run to for protection, with bird scare tape and overhead line as a DETERRENT. I have lost a few
(which really bothers me because they are pets) but their quality of life is better, I think, when they can get outside in a large area. To all who say make a smaller COVERED run, I did that, it was stripped down to dirt in a week and wasn't a very inviting place to make the chickens enriched.

Back
Top Bottom