Freedom Rangers

Ann, I just sent you an email. Check out the where are you/where am I and go to the Ohio post. There's a couple others in Leitchfield/Medina which is close too.

I've had both Black and Grey. I think the Greys are more mainstream and the blacks should have a more chickenly flavor.

I spoke with a lot of customers without giving away they had eaten two different breeds two weeks apart. I asked "Where these ones (which were Blacks) as good as the last ones (which were greys)?" Universally everyone said they were just as good. So no one tipped a preference in flavor of one over the other.

Could I tell a difference? Maybe. It's really hard to say knowing I had prior knowledge the blacks should taste more 'gamey' or rich. All the farm chicken I've produced tastes great to me.

Regarding meat toughness... this really has little to do with the breed or chicken. It's a reflection of the living conditions. The more the bird exercises, the more muscle texture will form and you will get 'tougher' meat. However, they actually taste of chicken when you let them roam. The garbage at Safeway is flavorless and is full of water. Our problem as chicken people is that's what people think chicken should taste of. So we can go too wild without the risk of alienating our customers.

Also, the flavor and texture of the bird can be influenced by their diet and what grains they are getting. So it's hard to say that one breed will be tougher, stringier, moister or tenderer than another.... except you can say, without exception, that heritage breeds will be narrower and thinner breasted and the meat is always a bit tougher. Crossbreeds simply are the way to go with your meat chickens.

p.s. We do raise pork. It's one of the animals I may be able to go organic with eventually... after our pastures and field crops get certified. The others are duck, goose and maybe meat chickens. But, as far as goats, sheep and beef go, we're not there yet. Given the ammount we deworm (based on fecal exams and anemia checks) to suddenly stop deworming I suspect we'd lose a vast number of animals. Organic can be a bit cruel in my climate.

Last edited:
If you have never done broilers, I'd say wait until April or May. I know you'll be eager. But the downside with late winter and wet spring meat chickens is that the weather doesn't cooperate. I brought in Cornish X's one year in February and I loss nearly 50%. Cocciddiossis strikes very hard when the ground is wet.

Can we get together in a Yahoo chat? It'd be great to be able to chat with you Gray and all who are into and looking into the Freedom Ranger chickens.
smile.png

I don't mind posting as I can type fast but chatting is great and we'd have a group for more questions when I get my chicks and start into this fun sounding hobby that will be so nutritious
smile.png
I do remember those free range chickens my brother would give me. Hands down better for you than the grocery store free range want to be's LOL!!

Ann

Ok GREAT advice as usual
smile.png
you're a gem of chicken knowledge!!
The Freedom Ranger breeder we were looking at said February for order shippments. (shrug)

Ann

Quote:

Starting the meat chickens a couple months after the egg layers I'm going to pick up 40 min. from home, will give me time to learn some with the hens then divide a part of the new coop for the Rangers and have a couple Chicken Tractors going in the garden/ orchard

Quote:

That makes sense to do hens before meat birds. All the laying stock you get from hatcheries has the longevity genes left in them (for the most part) so they don't suffer from some of the issues with the meat chickens.

I use a tractor as well; but I'm kinda soft hearted. Whe it gets to the point where it's really dirty by the end of the day, I open the pop-hole and set-up portable electric netting and let them roam (roughly 1600 SF). It's a huge relief because it means I only have to move them weekly rather than daily. I don't mind moving them daily when they're chicks, but it gets tiring.

I have two tractors. One I can move by hand. The other is much sturdier but requires the tractor. The hand movable one gets used more as a step between the brooder and the final housing (the sturdier one).

Great questions and answers here... and I also discovered that we could use a tractor to move our heavier coop! Wow, we only have 3 of them LOL! (Hubby's hobby - fixing up the old ones.) Wait till I tell him!

Here's my question, greyfields: do the freedom rangers breasts/undersides rest on the ground a lot? That's the worst part for me. We processed 4 tonight and their undersides are pretty gross even though I change the litter often.

Thanks!
Nancy

Our freedom rangers remained fully feathered; which for us was a welcome relief. They didn't even have that bare patch on their chests. Some had a bit of a crease there, but it was nowhere near the Cornish X's without their feather suits on. I think their growth rate is slow enough so that they stay in plumage; yet it's not like they grow lethargically. I think they found the butter point with what they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom