"Freezer Camp" in our Minnesota Coop. Frozen Wattles on Roo.

Try that seperate but. Near by bit. Or maybe even pull chucky out and let lightning establish himself with the hens. Then maybe playing field will level out so to speak. Were they brooder mates? Maybe they just need tohave their small go around and they'll be ok after. :D:fl

Wattles warm to touch this morning...but not hot inflamed. They felt soft. He took some scratch and food out of the palm of my hand today in the run. His new favorite way to eat--hand fed. Maybe little less swelling.

Chasing all my laying girls in circles around the run. Go Roger Go. Such a frisk.

Wattles warm to touch this morning...but not hot inflamed. They felt soft. He took some scratch and food out of the palm of my hand today in the run. His new favorite way to eat--hand fed. Maybe little less swelling.

Chasing all my laying girls in circles around the run. Go Roger Go. Such a frisk.

Yea Roger! Your a good looking guy.

Aussiegal: Your Chucky and Lightning are gorgeous as well. How are lightning's Wattles coming along. Does the swelling take forever to come out or is there still some residual even after a couple weeks? How's he healing?

Well we had lunch down at the run today. I brought treats/ spinach leaves to the others... and he usually, like a good roo lets his submissives eat while he stands "gaurd". I did pack a seperate small bowl for him of tomato, spinach, and scrambled egg. He took his egg while his hens were busy, then tomatoe and a few spinach leaves. His crop did have some seeds and food in it and I was glad for that. Glad that I also brought down the extra treats too, tho'. Sometimes it's for me that I do those things. Little reassurances. Tonight at roost time...his crop was good and full in appearance and I watched him eat, carefully out of the feeder and drink deeply from the waterer. I think my job is done for a while. The wattles and comb are completely covered in vaseline/ dusting ash goo. So tomorrow I might bring him in and wash some off and make an inspection of things again. Wattles tho' were warm and pendulous still. All is well from what I can tell. Would like less swelling for him though. 20 degrees F today. I'll take it.

Last edited:
My buff orpington roo had the same thing happen, the tips of his comb will probably fall off, but he is still a handsome man. Darn Minnesota weather. (I am in southern MN myself)

Sorry to hear about your roo Martha. These last two weeks were pretty brutal on these birds troubles with frostbite all over this forum. I guess we are not alone. I used to live on a farm in se mn so I know its a damper cold than what we have further north. Nasty stuff that gets right to your bones. I hope your bo roo gets better soon. If you get a chance go ahead and post a picture of him and post some progress on here. This thread is for all to share.

Down at the Run today at lunch time. These wattles scared me today. My dramatic side thought, "My God. Great big filled Pus Bags on Roger." After work I got him up to the house for some maintenance work.

On closer inspection with soap and water, and wash rag. The grayish tissue was not pus within wattles, but actually a papery tissued skin that lightly sloughs off at this time. You can see there remains fluid inside the wattles and they appear quite heavy for him. He also has the tar like substance of vaseline/dusting ash goo on the wattles. Even with warm soap and water it does not come off very readily. i did go ahead and apply a topical penicillin on that gray area of the wattles anyway. My feeling is that it will help heal faster and deter any renegade skin bugs that might want to take up residence.
* Things that bother me about this phase of healing: The gray sloughy tissue on the wattles. Not knowing what the fluid is like inside the wattles...is it turning to pus and needs to be drained?
* Things that make me think things are okay yet: The temperature of the wattles are just warm to cool. Not hot/ not feverish. It does not stink. Not like something infected would be. The outerside of wattles through the vaseline tar seem to be pinkish red and small bit of purple yet-- in good vascular shape. Roger was totally obnoxious at clean up tonight...telling me he feels good. He is not at all lethargic.

I have thought about calling the vet to order up a shot of penicillin for him just to be pro-active. But I don't think we're there yet as I don't suspect internal infection. What does everybody else think?

Anybody seen this on their frost bit roo wattles. Are we coming along good or is there cause for more concern than what I have?

Thanks All,
Rog and Bogtown

Last edited:
Aussiegal: Your Chucky and Lightning are gorgeous as well. How are lightning's Wattles coming along. Does the swelling take forever to come out or is there still some residual even after a couple weeks? How's he healing?
Lightning looks good now, but everytime I take him out his comb/waddles turn dark pretty quick. We have descided to cull him. He is still shaking his head quite a bit. He just hasn't been accepted back & he's so big that we have had 1 rooster wound on a smaller hen.

Back
Top Bottom