"Freezer Camp" in our Minnesota Coop. Frozen Wattles on Roo.

Sorry to hear that Aussiegal. I had to cull an extra roo this late summer that didn't work well in the flock, too and sometimes...you just need to do it for the better good of the flock. Whatever decision you've made here, I'm sure wasn't made lightly.

Well a bit of concern for roger. I can "smell" his comb. Starting to get that sweet sickening metallic like smell. I had him up for a clean up this morning. I didn't get to a bigger town until this afternoon and we're just getting back this evening. I picked up some Duramycin powder for water mixture for him and some veterycin for topical treatment as I hear that is great all around. I really feel like he probably needs an injection to make this easier on me and him...but will call vets office first to see if we can get right dose set up for this. Their injectibles at the farm and fleet store i went to were designed for cattle and swine mainly. worthless for poultry.

His Wattles also feel warmer and look a little fuller tonight when I shut the run door. They looked a little more greenish under the skin too and black above that. So skin is definitely dying here. Also the outside of the wattles are "yellowing" a bit.

I think he's getting infection started. Will fight it with what I got picked up today and starting tomorrow AM. Call vets and see If I can figure out an injection for this mess with them.

Last edited:
oh no poor you and roger! will the vet take a look at him? im thinking infection is infection what ever the animal and they might be able to give some insight of what to expect?

I have seen on online chicken vet for questions just like that. Try putting chicken vet in the search bar on this site. I'm sure this is where I read about it. Otherwise, there is a chart of medication doses, again I found the link on BYC, Kansas State U, I think.

I did some deeper research last night on this wonderful byc. I figured out how to make up the duramycin 10 powder into 800 Mg strength in a smaller amount for one bird. As I don't want to isolate him or give to the general waterer. & whole flock because eggs would need to be tossed for 21 days after. 3/4 tsp for 1 quart. Then because I knew it would take two of us to slowly syringe in a few ml into his stubborn beak without choking him I researched injectibles. Seems pro pen g is what we need to get for skin wounds and the sort and I have that coming from vet supply out of Texas at $10 for vial. Just need to find a syringe to inject next on shopping list. The ones at fleet supply looked gigantic of course.

Comb totally reeks. That smell sticks in your nose hairs too. Clean ups twice today and then with vetericyn spray. Then penicillin ointment on top of that

Wattles look more black on top and contracting down. Still sort of puffy at their ends. But smaller. Want to trim away dead and black. But might be a bit early for that and I may actually have a vet debride. I'll see how this week goes maybe as it looks.

He is vital as ever. Eating. Alert. Mating. Strong fighting his oral medicine. This is the big picture I cant lose sight of. Not sure how far I'll take this if ithis part changes any. I wont let any suffering happen.

im so sorry its gone so far :( smell is not good. your doing so much to save him and the fact he dosnt seem bothered by it is a great sign. i hope the drugs get this under control. id be scared to cut any bits away is that something you have experience with? maybe if you can find a willing vet? my hearts breaking for you and roger but i have such hope for him. his been so strong throughout and your working so hard for him x i wish i knew more info on this :( xx

Thanks shell. So much for visiting us as always. And your support.

I did abunch of wound clean ups. In a dermatology office with appropriate supplies and instruments. Most or none were necritic tho and left to surgeons. Also nervous about this as its more Vascular. I have general idea on what to do but he is a bit of amess and not a willing patient. Lol. Will call vet today to get price for debridement. Roger might be worth this. He takes such good care of the flock. And predators. Think twice when They see his size. Gentle with my hens...etc.

Last edited:
i know its so hard isnt it!! we need chicken NHS !! vets are so steeply priced that it stops you being able to do all you want to ! think next step with bombie is xrays or scan just cringe thinking of price! :( we just have to do our best . xxx

It snowed 12 inches last night and into today. Needless today it's a snow day and there is no school and I'm lucky to have the job I do to stay home with kids and take care of chickens.
tongue.png

So brought Roger up and set up everything I needed for a session of debridement. I gave him pinch of baby aspirin. Duramycin laced grapes...figured that one out! No fighting to syringe feed!

I used H2o2 for this and iodine mixed in. I read some debridement vet techniques on line and they recommend Hydrogen peroxide to help lift and bubble away necrotic tissue. They said this is when H2o2 is good. The area needs oxidizing. Once the tissue bed is clear of necrosis then you need to back off of hydrogen peroxide because it lifts good granulating tissues. Tweezers, cuticle scissors were also used. The eschar on the back blade of his comb lifted off readily. This is also where some of the whitish exudate and smell is coming from. I also cut of black tips of comb. He has some darker red tissue underneath that is very hard and reminds me of jerkey. lol. And I'm sure eventually this will go but did not want to dip into any blood supply. I did a small sliver of trimming on the wattles but not much. I don't think they are ready yet for me. Vetericyn and Penicillin ointment over all.

Here he is after combe debridement. Roger's new "look". LOL. I think where that whitish goo line is where the dead actually is seperated from the good tissue. Will probably be more that comes off here. But under this is dark marroon right now. I'll leave it be for a while. or until we are ready.

He's a character. And I feel more confident in my efforts with him too. Kids held onto him with a blanket wrapped around him. He did well considering.

Here he is way too comfortable in my house after grapes and scrambled egg and first debridement session. Love him to bits but he belongs outside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom