My ducks water is freezing, what can i do about that?
An immediate, short-term fix is to bring them fresh water that is warm (not hot because you don't want to burn them, but not cold because you don't want it to freeze again right away.)

If you have just one or two really cold days, and you are available on those days, carrying fresh water every few hours can be enough to get them safely through the cold stretch.

Trying to do it several times every day all winter is a major time committment, which is why heated water dishes are popular with people who live in cold climates. I see several people have already recommended heaters of one kind or another.

We only get a handful of days each year cold enough to keep freezing the ducks water and I just replenish it with fresh every few hours. Otherwise look for one of the heated options.

I got a $15 aquarium heater that’s been working great so far! We have below zero (F) highs coming this weekend so we will see how it holds up.
Ooh that's such a good idea! I bought a fancy large heated waterer and it's a nightmare to fill, the chickens are afraid of it and won't drink out of it, and the water froze today anyway (it's rated up to 0 but it was much colder). Going to buy an aquarium heater :)

Back
Top Bottom