Frigid weather this weekend-leave light on?

KrisCVT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Central Massachusetts
My birds are almost 3 years old- 2 buffs, 1 BR, and a wyandotte. The BR and wyandotte are mid-molt. We are in MA and in the midst of the "bomb cyclone", with the weather dropping this weekend to ACTUAL temperature of -11F, with winds of 20-30mph. The coldest (according to my coop thermometer) that it has been in my coop in the past 2 years is -2F. Coop seems to stay about 4-5 degrees warmer than the outside.
My coop has had good ventilation so far, struggling with humidity with all the snow (according to my hygrometer it's been 65-80%), but no frost or moisture in it (I scoop poop daily, no water inside it). It has deep, clean shavings in it, wide roosts. Outside run is wrapped in plastic. Area under coop where birds hang out is filled with straw (where the ducks live).

I am VERY worried about this unprecedented weather. My birds have done well so far- eating, scratching for treats, dust bath in their temporary dust basin, etc.

I have electricity to my coop- they have a night light on at all times, but I was thinking of leaving the main light (40 W presently) on throughout the cold nights? Maybe it will add a couple more degrees of warmth??

Or do I bring them into my basement for Friday till Sunday and put them back out Monday when it's hight 30's???

pic of my coop for reference....(a couple summer's ago when it was beautiful and warm out)
IMG_1811.JPG

I think your maintenance and setup will allow the birds to handle those conditions well without any additional action on your part.
The 40 watt likely wouldn't add more than a degree or two and may stress the birds more because they won't have the needed dark period.
If you must, you could use a small space heater or ceramic heat emitter but not light.
Ceramic heat emitters require a ceramic socket, not plastic.
Since you don't have any large combed roosters, they'll be fine without it.
Humidity is similar here and colder. I've never had frostbite on even my largest combed hens.

Last edited:
What you guys are experiencing is unusual, therefore it's not something your chickens have acclimatized to, as, for example, chickens in North Dakota and Alaska. I would definitely add just enough heat to keep the coop temp hovering right above freezing. There may be better alternatives to a light bulb, though.

I just bought one of those flat coop warmers that are not much larger than a laptop computer, and draw just around 150 watts, but put out enough heat to raise the temp in a small coop ten or twenty degrees. I'm pretty happy with it, and it cost around $50 at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX9K1J...t=&hvlocphy=9029086&hvtargid=pla-305424491249

Thanks. I was worried about stressing them. It seems that the light socket is a ceramic base so I think a ceramic bulb would be safe, but it's about 3 feet above the roosts so I am not sure if the heat would reach them. I might run to the petstore tomorrow and grab one just in case though. All of their combs are pretty shrunken down due to not laying and molting. I guess I am just worried about one dropping dead because I keep reading horror stories. =(

What you guys are experiencing is unusual, therefore it's not something your chickens have acclimatized to, as, for example, chickens in North Dakota and Alaska. I would definitely add just enough heat to keep the coop temp hovering right above freezing. There may be better alternatives to a light bulb, though.

I just bought one of those flat coop warmers that are not much larger than a laptop computer, and draw just around 150 watts, but put out enough heat to raise the temp in a small coop ten or twenty degrees. I'm pretty happy with it, and it cost around $50 at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX9K1J...t=&hvlocphy=9029086&hvtargid=pla-305424491249

I WISH I could get the coop above freezing. I would be thrilled. But it's been 9F, while outside was 5F, or 12F while outside was 7F. Yesterday was a heatwave and got up to 25F, and my birds were thrilled. My ducks actually each took a bath. I think I saw one of those warmers at TSC. Even a 10 degree bump would be great. Maybe I will see if one is still in stock. I doubt Amazon can get me one here in time.

Thanks. I was worried about stressing them. It seems that the light socket is a ceramic base so I think a ceramic bulb would be safe, but it's about 3 feet above the roosts so I am not sure if the heat would reach them. I might run to the petstore tomorrow and grab one just in case though. All of their combs are pretty shrunken down due to not laying and molting. I guess I am just worried about one dropping dead because I keep reading horror stories. =(

You are there, and you need to do what you think is best for your flock and your peace of mind. I think they'll be fine without heat, but again, it's your call to make, not mine. ;)

Bear in mind, though, this one thing. Very rarely does anyone come in with a post that says, "Life is great. I am not having a single issue with my birds, my setup, the weather, or food and water or their overall health. Everything is easy, neat, clean, and my chicken world is perfect." So yep, there are a lot of horror stories out there, and yes, weather related concerns are in the forefront right now. But only because in almost all cases, something has gone wrong and they are looking for some reassurance or assistance. For every post lamenting an issue, there are thousands of others not posting who are doing just fine! So upsetting an apple cart based on a reaction to "horror stories" can be counterproductive. If what you have going for you right now is working, you've most likely got this! :highfive:

Last edited:
This is the front wall of my coop. There is no insulation, no heat added, and the birds have no problems at all. Look at them, right up front, not hiding in the back.

55557_img_1349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom