Frostbite hat

Jessdesk

Chirping
Jun 3, 2017
It's that time of year. Our chickens refuse to stay inside! 20 degrees here today and overcast & windy. Yesterday 1 of the roosters started getting frostbite on his comb and wattles. I treated everyone with a liberal layer of Vaseline. But today Mr. Violet still didn't look right, so I made him a hat... it's a little big.
20180102_112652.jpg
What else can I do? I have 2 heat lamps in their shelter (& very dry). the hens are laying inside, but they just don't want to stay inside; they want to be outside in the snow. :/

Where are you located? 20 degrees isn't too cold for chickens to be outside. It's been anywhere from 5-30 degrees F in my area lately but I've seen people post about having temps in the negatives and using no extra heat source for their girls. As long as they have a dry environment and unfrozen water they should be fine.

Lol, thanks.

The desert of western Texas. It is a very dry climate, I swear dry cold feels worse. It has been snowing, but nothing is sticking. Very windy out here also.

It is lined with a double layer of felt. I just hand stitched it together. Took about an hour.

It's that time of year. Our chickens refuse to stay inside! 20 degrees here today and overcast & windy. Yesterday 1 of the roosters started getting frostbite on his comb and wattles. I treated everyone with a liberal layer of Vaseline. But today Mr. Violet still didn't look right, so I made him a hat... it's a little big.
View attachment 1224657
What else can I do? I have 2 heat lamps in their shelter (& very dry). the hens are laying inside, but they just don't want to stay inside; they want to be outside in the snow. :/
:lau If I did that too my rooster. He’d be pissed :gig

It is lined with a double layer of felt. I just hand stitched it together. Took about an hour.
Ok, I'll try that. Mine got it mild on the front half of his comb. It bled a lot while I was heating it up with a wet paper towel. While in recover, I came home to a bit of a blood bath in/on his waterer (his comb kept going up against it when he drank. Looks ok now. No swelling and it's a bit scabby. I just want to fashion something that would reopen it.

Back
Top Bottom