Frostbite on Rooster's Wattles?

The blackened parts will dry up and fall off on their own, so next winter their comb and wattles will be a little smaller and hopefully the frostbite will not be as severe as this winter. Chickens restrict blood flow to the comb and wattles to conserve body heat, so the tissue freezes and becomes necrotic (black), and will dry out and fall off.

Interesting about the blood flow, that makes sense!

@lutherpug No worries about hopping on my thread ;) You're right we're all in the same boat and it's all good! :D

Well we had to put him back out, he was crowing... A LOT lol! So I went and got some bag balm and applied that, on top of the antibiotic ointment I had already applied. But man alive! His one way tie that is the worst is so swollen :( And they're both HOT! I hope that's normal, not like I can do much about it. I'm going out to add more pine shavings again, that with the bag balm I've done all I really can, so I'm leaving him in the good Lord's very capable hands

@lutherpug I think we're all fortunate that the weather will be greatly improved in the next couple of days. I think I'll keep May inside a couple of days and then return him to his girls on one of the days when we're getting up to the 40s ... unless he's showing signs of infection, which I'm hoping won't happen.

What do I look for for infection?

Shoot, sorry you had to put him back out. I wouldn't think it could get infected that fast...

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

I wondered about putting him in the basement? Do you think it's best to keep him inside? At least until tomorrow when it's supposed to be about 30-35*?

I'm going to try to keep my guy in for the next day or so. Thanks, all, for your posts. I hate that all our birds are dealing with this, but there's consolation knowing May isn't the only one.

Last edited:
I feel bad for our birds too :( They've got to be uncomfortable?? His wattles were so hot and the one was really swollen :/ I guess I said that already lol! Anyway, he's back out with the rest and I'm praying for no infection

I feel bad for our birds too :( They've got to be uncomfortable?? His wattles were so hot and the one was really swollen :/ I guess I said that already lol! Anyway, he's back out with the rest and I'm praying for no infection

Keep me posted, and I'll do the same. May's are both really swollen right now.

Back
Top Bottom