Frostbite on Waddles & Comb - What Went Wrong?

How long before the cold snap did you switch to a nipple waterer?

Being very well hydrated can help keep a good blood flow through the comb and waddles which can help keep them warm enough. If Stella was a bit reluctant to drink from a new type of waterer she might have been a little dehydrated even if the water was available.

If you are far enough north to have long nights, that could be part of the problem if she didn't drink enough water before roosting. They don't get down to drink in the dark.

Another possibility is that she hadn't been exposed to cold enough for her body to adapt to it. I've recently been reading research about genes in chickens that control how much heat their muscles generate. These genes are switched on and off by exposure to extreme-ish (for a chicken to be comfortable) temperatures. Some of this research talks about different breeds being more responsive in this way than other breeds.

Size of her comb, size of her body, differences in her feathering might be part of it.

Or she may just have roosted in a more exposed spot or something like that.

Or a little of each.

Or something none of us have heard of.
Thank you so much for all your insight! The horizontal nipples have been their primary water source for around 8 weeks. I did have issues with them freezing durring this cold snap. Perhaps she became dehydrated when the deicer couldn't keep up? Despite providing containers of snow and hot soaked crumble
to accomodate the lack of water flowing from their 2 gallon tank.

I definitely hear what you are saying in regards to shock and breed hardiness. This cold snap was unlike anything Ive seen in years, and certainly the coldest my girls have experienced! Its probably telling that the rest of my hens with pea combs suffered no complications. As much as I love the look of Stella's adorable rosey wobbly bits, it may be safer to choose breeds with small combs/waddles in the future.

The only time I've had problems with frostbite was when the area started to bleed. It was on an aged rooster with massive comb and wattles. He liked to shake his head to impress the ladies which caused the frost bite area to bleed. I put him in a cage inside the coop so he could still be with his ladies but they could not go after his bloody comb and wattles. It healed on its own.
Im glad your experience had a happy ending! Here's hoping Stella heals quickly. So far, she has no blood or swelling!

Stella, my favorite hen is showing signs of frostbite after the recent cold snap. Luckily my 6 other hens are fine. This is my first time wintering over chickens, so I have never dealt with anything like this before. I took many precautions, including restricting their access only to the coop, draft prevention around the bottom of the coop (without loss of ventilation). I set up a nipple waterer so their waddles would stay dry. I even hung a small brooder/heater device above their perch for supplemental heat (linked below). To my surprise on the coldest days none of the girls were huddled around the heater. I feel like I did everything I could and clearly it was not enough!

Can any help me understand how this happened, despite keeping them locked inside with supplemental heat and proper ventilation (or so I think)? All the reading I've done on BYC suggests letting the injury take its course and to not treat the frostbite. Can anyone experienced with frostbite tell me if they think she will wind up losing her waddles and comb? I'm trying to prepare myself for the coming weeks of "recovery."

HEATER I USED

View attachment 3361566View attachment 3361567View attachment 3361568
That frostbite doesn't look too bad. My chickens never got frostbite quite that bad but about half as bad. They would still lay eggs all winter then in spring their comb is beautiful. As chickens age they do wear out though. So mine always just heal. If your frostbite was much worse then it would be more concerning.

Mash is your culprit. The wattles got coated with mash.

My girls taught me that cold days are pellet days. The mash gets cold anyway and they don't like to eat cold. (Mine I mean, pretty spoiled really)

I believe (pretty sure) she will be ok. Once the wattle heals, her circulation should reactivate in there too.

Her comb is painful, but at worst she will lose tips. That will hurt you to look at more than her once it is necrotizing.

She is more vulnerable to cold... Check her for other things. My older hens get more vulnerable when they have things like ascitite or calcium issues or even just a bumblefoot. This may be a blessing, she may need a little check up (or a little bit of spoiling).

Try not to touch the comb or wattles. I have had frostbite on my body, and all contact to the skin is painful. (Even water hurts) a spray of vetericyn is as much as I would touch if necessary. There is not really treatment other than bringing the body back up to a good temperature when you see it.

If ever you see a hen with "active" frostbite or hyperthermia bring them in the house and get them hot before returning them to the coop.

I bring in anyone old or sick before a big drop in temperatures. I prefer prevention, treating is too time consuming. My spouse has learned objecting is pointless.

(note I am in Canada, so a drop here can be -67F which is not negotiable, it can kill a fully dressed human, a chicken doesn't stand a chance)
I think you have a really great point about the mash! I didn't consider that but certainly will moving forward! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with me :thumbsup

Just wanted to post an update for future case comparison. Stella has made nearly a full recovery from her frostbite incurred during the brutal cold snap this past winter.

Some of her combs points have softened, but she keep both of her waddles! It is amazing how well her little body healed itself. Nature really does know best :wee

Attachments

• 20230402_180224.jpg
    20230402_180224.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230402_180224.jpg
    20230402_180224.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 3
Just wanted to post an update for future case comparison. Stella has made nearly a full recovery from her frostbite incurred during the brutal cold snap this past winter.

Some of her combs points have softened, but she keep both of her waddles! It is amazing how well her little body healed itself. Nature really does know best :wee
Gosh what good news!

Beautiful girl you have. Please tell her that auntie Michele says so!

Gorgeous smile!

Have a lovely summer (thank heaven no frostbite fears for a while!)

Back
Top Bottom