Frostbite

The foot does look a little puffy which may be normal, hopefully @Allsfairinloveandbugs will chime in with thoughts.
@LaurenRitz , I went back and looked at the photo you posted on January 9 just before the toe came off, and the swelling looks about the same to me. I looked on the internet for other birds showing swollen tissue above necrotic toes just before and after toes came off, but didn't find any good examples to post here.
I then went back and looked at my own hen's frostbite injury. Even though the remaining swollen viable tissue Involves her entire shank, I think it is comparable to what you are seeing, including back on January 9 and now.

Swelling 2 days before autoamputation:
20210402_093933~4.jpg

Swelling 2 days after autoamputation
20210406_165656.jpg

Scrolling through more photos, it took several weeks for the swelling to completely go away.

I agree with @Wyorp Rock that your little guy is craving a dust bath. Do loosely cover/wrap his feet while he does so, since dirt will contact his remaining toe tissue. Then unwrap his toes/feet afterward, soak in Epsom salts, and medicate as toes continue to heal. Though risk of infection is overall low, it's much easier to prevent any infection risk than treat it after the fact.

The toe came off when I wasn't paying attention and I suspect he ate it again. He has one toe left on this foot.

He wouldn't use the dust bath I provided--I suspect it wasn't up to his standards. 🙃
I think it's looking pretty good!

Those toes must be tasty! He'll figure out the dust bath thing eventually (when you're not watching):)

He did eventually use the dustbath, but very gently. The most energetic part was shaking himself when he got out.

No sign of infection on the toes. I did douse them in vinegar to keep him from nibbling on them. It seems to be working.

The scabs have fallen off and I'm working on getting him back in the coop. A few minutes yesterday, an hour today, supervised. No problems. Tomorrow I will leave him all day but check on them periodically.

I'll be bringing him inside at night for a while until he's used to the cold.
Is he the only cockerel?

I'm glad that he's doing well enough to begin the process of re-joining the flock.

Is he the only cockerel?
I'm not sure. I think he is, but obviously I'm not good at this stuff yet. The others all challenged, and all but one backed down immediately. That one also looks like a pullet to me. They'll go eye to eye and stand up straight, but so far no real challenge.

I am concerned about some of his behavior with the flock, but that's not for this post.

I am concerned about his ability to defend himself, with no claws. I'll be keeping a close eye on what goes on today.

I'm not sure. I think he is, but obviously I'm not good at this stuff yet. The others all challenged, and all but one backed down immediately. That one also looks like a pullet to me. They'll go eye to eye and stand up straight, but so far no real challenge.

I am concerned about some of his behavior with the flock, but that's not for this post.

I am concerned about his ability to defend himself, with no claws. I'll be keeping a close eye on what goes on today.
At that age pullets will challenge cockerels or other pullets, so I would deem that completely normal.
He's a "newbie" so he'll have to navigate the flock for a bit, but if he's the only cockerel, he'll likely be fine, pullets/hens won't do much more than try to give him the stare down.

So I have another one. I went out this morning and noticed that she wasn't walking correctly. Closer inspection shows that two toes have already fallen off and the last is hanging by a thread.

Obviously something needs to be done about my coop, but I'm trying to decide if I should bring her in.

So I have another one. I went out this morning and noticed that she wasn't walking correctly. Closer inspection shows that two toes have already fallen off and the last is hanging by a thread.

Obviously something needs to be done about my coop, but I'm trying to decide if I should bring her in.
I'm sorry that you have another one.
Sounds like she's healed up, but it's always a good idea to evaluate and see if she needs some extra care.

As for the coop, do some research on ventilation and take a look at your setup. I think we all have things that we've had to tweak or change over the years.
I normally do not have many problems with frostbite, maybe edges of a roosters wattles every once in a while, (drinking from an open bowl). This year I did have a rooster and 3 hens suffer some frostbite on their combs. These birds sleep in open rafters, so there was plenty of ventilation. (This group also slept in trees last winter!) This was exposure, the pattern on all of them is like they had everything tucked in and under the wing except for tips of combs. -24F wind chills will do it I suppose. I have not seen any damage of toes thankfully, so they had those covered. No matter where you live or how your setup is, birds can suffer frostbite due to a number of factors.

Back
Top Bottom