Frozen eggs!!!

I've had eggs that have frozen & cracked and the weirdest thing happens... I put them in the fridge and when they thaw the crack seals!!!! The eggs taste just as delicious as always!

what kind of chickens do you have? they must be good ones to survive those temps.

Don't you read these threads? I read on here that chickens survive -30 degrees without a problem, just have to have shelter over their heads and from the wind. A PVC quanset hut with a tarp roof is enough! And to think I was worried about 30 degrees here in central Texas! My girls really have it good in their tight little hen house, never a need for a light for warmth. If you only have a few chickens that use only one nest box you could use a reptile warming mat for them to lay on. They are very safe. lol :)

Don't you read these threads? I read on here that chickens survive -30 degrees without a problem, just have to have shelter over their heads and from the wind. A PVC quanset hut with a tarp roof is enough! And to think I was worried about 30 degrees here in central Texas! My girls really have it good in their tight little hen house, never a need for a light for warmth. If you only have a few chickens that use only one nest box you could use a reptile warming mat for them to lay on. They are very safe. lol :)
yes, i read them. i also know that i have a rir with frostbite today. she is in an enclosed coop and its 23 degrees for the low.

I've had eggs that have frozen & cracked and the weirdest thing happens... I put them in the fridge and when they thaw the crack seals!!!! The eggs taste just as delicious as always!
I would be concerned that if the egg has cracked open bacteria and feces have free access into the interior of that egg. Even if the crack seals up after they thaw out, the foreign matter is being sealed in and you're eating that. We get frozen eggs too, and eat them if the shell is intact. But if they have cracked open, the dogs get them.

I would be concerned that if the egg has cracked open bacteria and feces have free access into the interior of that egg. Even if the crack seals up after they thaw out, the foreign matter is being sealed in and you're eating that. We get frozen eggs too, and eat them if the shell is intact. But if they have cracked open, the dogs get them.
x2

yes, i read them. i also know that i have a rir with frostbite today. she is in an enclosed coop and its 23 degrees for the low.

Sounds like you need more/better ventilation....we have been -38 F here. 15 chickens, 8 by 8 coop. I have had a few frozen eggs. I feed mine a warm water mash of layer pellets in the am, with 3 raw eggs, shells crumbled up in it also, during the winter. Nice, hard, yummie eggs. I collect them multiple, or more often, times a day.

Just made a DIY water heater today for 0$...just stuff around...hooked to a ground fault outlet, nothing they can peck, fire proofed too...works for keeping their water liquid. Old lamp, cinder block, wood base, and 40 watt bulb, but shut it off at night...no need to spend $ on electric, if they are sleeping, right?

probably right about the vents as i went outside and looked and they had been closed. i dont know how they managed that as i have a hard time closing them but i know the little buggers did it themself. they are floor register vents. the metal ones. geez, guess they were cold !! lol

We have had -37 here so far, and all my chickens are just fine. 17 birds, 8x8 coop (on the outside). It is well insulated and I keep the straw real thick.

Back
Top Bottom