Frozen eggs!!!

old.gif
I have a gal can turned upside down and mounted to a block of wood.There is a porcelain light fixture attached to that with a light bulb.On both sides of the can there are 2 ea 4x4 x8" pieces of treated wooden scraps and my water pan sits on those.The can is the same height as my water pan and this makes the water er stable.I ran elect. from the fixture to a receptacle and put a male plug on it so that I can plug and unplug as needed.I drilled a few small holes in the can so that the heat can't build up.This has done a wonderful job on keeping my water thawed.I am still working on the heat around my nest boxes. I don't want the coop heated,but I do need heat in certain areas.I will post some pictures when I get them.
yesss.gif

Every morning I carry a one-gallon plastic bucket of water out to my chickens, and it doesn't usually freeze until after dark unless it is super cold out. (below -20 degrees f.)

I had 4 eggs freeze and crack on me during a cold spell. I ran each egg under room temp water while they were still frozen and the shell slipped right off like a boiled egg. I thawed the eggs in a bowl and scrambled them. They were fine.

I thoroughly cook my eggs and keep my coop pretty clean so the eggs aren't covered with 'stuff'.
When they're frozen solid and cracked, you run them under water and it not only loosens the shell but melts the top layer of white that may have been exposed.

I thoroughly cook my eggs and keep my coop pretty clean so the eggs aren't covered with 'stuff'.
When they're frozen solid and cracked, you run them under water and it not only loosens the shell but melts the top layer of white that may have been exposed.
That sounds good.I believe that sometimes humans get to wrapped up in this germ issue.
barnie.gif
There are always chances of catching something but growing up we played in an old chicken coop.Kids will be kids and it's hard to say what we put in our mouths !
ep.gif
I understand precautions but I feel that the precautions are carried to far.You aren't going to clean all of the germs off of that egg before you crack it.As long as it is handled appropriately I can see no problem.Sorry for getting off track.

Back
Top Bottom