Frustrated with Buggy Feed

The only issues I've had with them regarding feed is getting feed that's been milled recently or simply not having it in stock
Same.

My options are kinda poor.
TSC 1. Probably not more than three miles from home.
Feed store 1. Out of town but not bad, very few red lights on the way.
Farm store. Out of town but on the way to something I do a couple times a month.
Rural King. Area of town I never really go to and the website doesn't say what's in store.
Feed store 2. Way across town.
TSC 2. Even farther across town.

Both the feed stores and the farm store are small independent places that makes me question what they can have in stock on a consistent basis. So for now, TSC 1 still gets my business.

Talk to Purina again! There's no way that spoiled feed is acceptable, and the company needs to work out what went wrong, from the mill to storage at the feed store.
And if there's another feed store not far away, go there.
That's awful stuff!!!
Mary
I agree with you Mary. She should have, at the very LEAST, gotten a refund. The response from Purina was less than acceptable.

I agree with you Mary. She should have, at the very LEAST, gotten a refund. The response from Purina was less than acceptable.
Purina mailed a coupon for a free bag of feed on both occasions and told me to return it for an exchange (unless I get a different product, it's going to be more of the same. I'm already stocked up ~plus one~ on my waterfowl feed) I suppose I'll exchange it for FR pellets. I've kept the feed AND the bag it came in, sealed up in 5 gallon buckets. I need a deep freezer to store all of this feed in

The bags are not wrapped in saran wrap at warehouses. And I've unloaded many a pallet of saran wrapped feed. The moths can easily get in there. The saran wrap is more to keep the bags from falling off the pallet than protecting from bugs. It could have happened anywhere along the line or at the store. This is very common in the pet food industry and while it's very off-putting it is simply what it is. Any where there is food there will be bugs trying to get in. It doesn't matter the brand or the care of the employees. If there is a hole or a weak bag bugs can and will get in.
They are saran wrapped at the warehouses. That’s when they get wrapped before they shipped. Yes, it is more to protect the bags from falling off but it is heather for bugs to get into broken bags of feed. Anything can happen but it most likely was ripped then shipped then exposed at TS.

They are saran wrapped at the warehouses. That’s when they get wrapped before they shipped. Yes, it is more to protect the bags from falling off but it is heather for bugs to get into broken bags of feed. Anything can happen but it most likely was ripped then shipped then exposed at TS.
You might want to read through the messages. She didn't get it at tractor supply and she had to wait for it to be unwrapped from the pallet at the store she did get it from. They do wrap them before shipping but they're not necessarily wrapped at all times at the warehouse.

So apparently Kalmbach Flock Maker isn't the best feed for my needs. If I'm reading it correctly, it's to be fed to meat birds. I'm just going to find another supplier that uses an alternate milling location for Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles. I've tried putting the pellets in a baby bullet for a quick spin but it results in mostly powder and pellets. I took a meat mallet to the pellets enclosed in a Ziploc bag today and after a lot of smacks, I had a somewhat decent crumble for my call ducklings and bantam hens and pullets. I don't have anything against Kalmbach feeds but my one small complaint is that at quick glance, it was difficult for me to decide which one was suited for my flocks needs. In all honesty, I shouldn't ever purchase a new feed on a whim without doing some research. Any ideas on what to do with a feed that you can't return but don't want to feed as a sole ration? Lastly, anyone made nice crumbles from pellet feed without a powdery dusty outcome.

Side note: I promise that I am not a constant complainer. This is on me. On a positive note, I was reminded of a valuable lesson that I failed to consider and don't see myself lacking on again. I'm always up for learning something.

Thanks to a very knowledgeable member on BYC in the middle of the night while reading articles I was alerted to the fact that the feed I had started using wasn't something ideal for my flocks needs.

I still have the last full bag of Flock Raiser Crumbles that I need to return. It's still sealed up in three 5-gallon buckets (the bag is also sealed up in a bucket). I worry this infested feed could be harmful to week old call ducklings. I guess I may be wrong. Between work and life, I forgot to take the bag with me to return it whenever I was at the store this past week. I'll definitely be making a trip to TSC by midweek at the latest

Last edited:
So apparently Kalmbach Flock Maker isn't the best feed for my needs. If I'm reading it correctly, it's to be fed to meat birds.

This one?
https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/products/20-flock-maker-crumble-0

I scroll down and click "feeding instructions," which opens up to say:
"Feed continuously as the sole ration to free-range or confined ducks, geese, chickens, turkeys and game birds from 1 day of age until laying age or market. Always provide shelter and a continuous source of fresh clean water."

The pelleted form has similar instructions.

And for each of them, I can also click "download specifications" and get a .pdf that also says that.

Considering that is on the manufacturers own website, I assume it is correct :confused:

(Also, if the food was only for meat birds, it would almost certainly have "meat" in the name.)

Back
Top Bottom