Frustrated with Buggy Feed

Pics

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
I purchased a 50lb bag of Purina Flock Raiser late last week and whenever I opened it I discovered the webs and clumps of feed with larvae and bugs. The mill date was mid Feb. I called Purina and asked them about the quality of the feed. The lady I spoke with said it probably won't hurt my birds but she wouldn't recommend feeding it. (I feed my bantams crumbles) At the same time I also purchased a 50lb bag of Purina Flock Raiser Pellets and that food was perfectly normal. Today I was back at the store and mentioned what happened with the last bag of crumbles. I asked if they had more bags of crumbles that weren't from the same lot and they actually just received an order moments before I arrived. I decided to purchase another bag of crumbles and a bag of pellets. The mill date on this bag was March 15 2021 (1MAR15) so it was definitely from a separate lot. Well, I opened the bag because I NEED crumbles at this time now and it's in the same state! Since it hasn't been at SS for any significant amount of time, I feel like the problem may be on Purina's end. I offered the last bag to someone I know that doesn't purchase feed for their flock and explained why I was offering it up for free and they gladly accepted it. I had to hear the "chickens eat bugs all the time so what's the problem" and I explained that in my personal opinion if I'm going to spend $20 on a bag of feed whenever I can easily purchase another brand of feed for less, I expect this feed to be free from larvae and bugs and to be somewhat fresh so the ingredients haven't deteriorated. (I know that some feed costs much more but that's not the point) So, I'm unsure about what to do next. My bantam roosters will be perfectly happy with pellets but I'm not so sure my bantam pullets and hens will be so excited to switch. Plus I have bantam ducks that are due to hatch late next week and I feel like they're going to need crumbles. I'd rather not have to order feed because I always like to check mill dates and I worry I'll forget to place the order in time ~it's just easier to purchase from a local B&M, whether that be SS or TSC. I'd rather not spend more than $20 for a 40-50lb bag because I go through quite a bit of feed. I plan on writing down the info from this tag and visit TSC tomorrow to see if they have Flock Raiser Crumbles from another facility because I need crumbles asap. I suppose I could crush up some of the pellets but it'd just be nice to get bug free feed.

Side note, my birds aren't huge fans of Nutrena All Flock but I'm guessing that would be better than nothing.

Any other feed suggestions? Is buggy feed just something I need to accept? Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate any feedback you can give

Edited to add that this feed was milled on MARCH 25TH 2021!

Some pictures of just a few wiggly clumps and larvae mingling about 🤢
20210409_195031.jpg

20210409_194938.jpg

Last edited:
Guess look at what other brands are locally available for you that suit your flock's needs, and try those out. Does sound like an issue arising somewhere between milling and arrival at the store for sale. I wouldn't find it acceptable to get feed with bugs hanging out in it.
Your reply certainly makes me feel better. The person that took the last bug infested bag from me made me feel like I might be an idiot. I'll check out my options tomorrow and hopefully find something comparable. Thank you so much for your reply

I reached out to a fellow BYC member that's local to me about where they purchase feed and what brand they use. I went to their store of choice and decided to try the brand of feed they use most often. Finding the Kalmbach feed with a mill date of March 24 was impressive as that's the freshest feed I've ever purchased. I've got to figure out if this feed is going to be appropriate for long term use as the gmo free flock maker is labeled as a starter/grower feed. Purina Flock Raiser is labeled for the entire life cycle-from hatch on. Either way, my birds seem to like Kalmbach feeds and it's going to be perfect for my hopeful ducklings that are due to hatch in 6 days. I'll look into this Flock Maker being suitable for my 10 month old pullets and other hens that will eat this feed all the time.

I tried to call Purina but the automated service informed me that they were closed Saturday and Sunday. I'll try to call them again tomorrow morning and hopefully figure out what's going on. I know that SS will take the feed back but I feel like Purina needs to know what's going on and hopefully address the problem. I'm considering trying Kalmbach for my entire flock but of course in whatever variety is suitable for them. The regular blend seems to be less expensive than Purina FR and the gmo free was almost $1 more. The freshness of the feed is certainly a factor to consider as well.

Every bag of Flock Raiser I bought for a while was infested (SERIOUSLY infested) with grain mites. I have had so many problems with Purina Flock Raiser.

I also believe that TSC buys a bunch of feed in bulk and then stores it until it sells. All the Flock Raiser at my 2 local TSC's had mill dates of June 2020 and have had the same mill date for 6 months at least. Maybe longer. Now the mill dates are January. Which in my opinion is still too old.

This pic was taken January 17th. Last month (March 2021) they still had the same mill dates.
20210117_173011.jpg

I've got to figure out if this feed is going to be appropriate for long term use as the gmo free flock maker is labeled as a starter/grower feed
It should be fine (oyster shell on the side).
And do contact Purina again. It is on them to find where quality control was lost...be it at the mill, a wholesale middle man, the store, or even a specific truck/trailer. It is in their best interest to find it and make sure it is corrected.
The only issue I've had with FR is actually getting it. The TSC website makes it look like it's not even offered at my local store anymore.

I know that SS will take the feed back but I feel like Purina needs to know what's going on and hopefully address the problem.
I would return the feed to the store and get your money back.
Record full mill date with following code(location I think).
Send mill dates and pics of feed to Purina.

Now the mill dates are January. Which in my opinion is still too old.
Yeppers.
Tell the management, it might help.

Back
Top Bottom