Full time house Chicken

Wow. I should have read all the posts first. Could this possibly just be someone looking to stir things up? You know how sometimes it gets really quiet, not too much is going on, and someone comes along and purposefully puts a fox in the hen house so to speak??

I hope this is just a prank of some sort. Pullets are not quiet all the time. They can make their fair share of noise - especially when they get ready to lay.

But those other posts were right, OP.....between the noise, dust, dander and smell - don't do it. And be fair to the girls - give them fresh outside air and sweet ground to peck on.

Della, it's time for some tough love here. Absolutely DO NOT add any more animals to what you already have planned until you've brought in your landlord, giving them ALL the details about your animals having free run of the house, and your desire to add chickens to the equation, as well. That is NOT YOUR HOUSE - at least not yet - and you have no right to use it like a combination greenhouse/livestock barn without the fully informed consent of the owners (your landlord). I do not believe for one minute that you have been entirely forthcoming with them about your plans to have all those animals (particularly uncaged keets, quail, pigeons, doves, and chickens) and using whole bedrooms as coops or rabbit hutches. If you had been entirely truthful with your landlord, you wouldn't be here asking softhearted BYC'ers how to add chickens to this menagerie without alarming both neighbors and landlord - not to mention any local laws that govern keeping farm animals in a residential area.

I, for one, will not encourage you or condone your actions. I think you're being dishonest and irresponsible. Quite frankly, if I were one of the moderators of this forum I would delete this thread immediately.
I completely agree with this reply, the amount of animals you are already taking is way more than would be accepted by any tolerant landlord and more than enough work for any one person without even adding the big dogs to the mix let alone the chickens. It would be completely irresponsible and unfair on any of the animals. I hope the original post is just someone joking.

I have house chickens. 5 hens and a rooster. I have some good reasons for having them inside, mostly the extreme cold here, but also it allows me to have eggs all winter and keep a close eye on them. my chickens have their own room, with a powerful hepa filter. the floor is covered with dust free pine shavings and cleaned often. they have 2 large ( big enough to hold an adult person comfortably) cages with perches and brood boxes. my house also contains a couple of cats who are unconcerned about the chickens. I would never recommend anyone ever! ever! keep chickens in their house, it is a ton of work to keep them clean and cared for and relatively stink free. adding 20-25 other animals is pure insanity no matter how much you enjoy cleaning. 1 of these hens has the run of the house... I am in the middle of box training her, she is very smart and I believe I will have some success, but I would never ever allow 3-6 hens run about my house willy nilly. in the summer they are outside birds, except the rooster. I have good neighbors i don't want to irritate and until I can find a crowless rooster, I don't want to start any mess with my neighbors who are essentially decent people. I own my own house with a decent size lot and chickens/poultry are legal in the city.
I doubt any of what has been said on these post have or will make any difference to the op, excitement and dreams lead to a kind of crazy that I avoid like the plague now that I am older. good luck to her, may she and her pets not suffer to harshly from her excitement.

Last edited:
Cruel and selfish to keep 30 animals inside. I'm disgusted at the thought. I have 8 chickens free ranging in my extra large garden and 4 dogs also sharing the same land (trained). To restrict these animals to a room is unbelievable. You would be depriving them of their right to fresh air, grass, soil and SUNLIGHT! I feel that you are keeping all of these animals for your own satisfaction. I keep my animals for 2 reasons - my satisfaction and because I know I give them a great home with plenty of food, love, attention, space and freedom. I have a 6 foot wall around my home but its a big garden. I thought I was stretching it with the animals I have. Crikey.

Back
Top Bottom