Future thinking of being an organic chicken farmer :) Need help in deciding

tigger19687

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 27, 2017
Metrowest- Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
Long story short, DD (darling daughter) will graduate High school in 2 years hopefully.
Then I can move out of this town to Mid-western MASS with acreage for Oragnic Chickens, Bees and small Herb Garden.
I have had chickens in the past (Silkies, golden laced Polish) but you never stop learning and that is why I love this site. I learned that the Polish don't do well in Winter without tying up their hats so they don't freeze :he
My eyes are bleeding with all the info on breeds/production/docilness etc. Not one place has the same info on a breed. ie: eggs per year, temperment...

So I would like some help on picking a breed or 2 from those from "Snow country" and that are in this for the Egg production & love of chickens.
Because this is New England and we have Snow and cold this makes things different .

What I would like : Large eggs (med ok, no color pref), SMALL combs & waddles, no feathered legs or fancy tops, Dolice/friendly NOT skiddish/mean. Dual breed only because I think that the plumper they are the better suited for Winter here. LOVE the Buff Orpingtons look, fluffiness and friendliness so anything like that with a large egg production. Black Australorps too but don't know much about them.
They will be free range, organically raised and loved.
Would like to breed my own (to keep my flock going and maybe sell a few extras) so may stick to one breed. And would want one with a mild Roo.

Yes I KNOW each hen has it's own personallity but as a whole breed mildness (Roo too).
NOT looking for Leghorns as I just hear they are not such a friendly bunch plus I don't like their look. I know that if I want Really go egg production that would be a good breed but I want FLUFFY :love

I currently have 4 (limit in this town and my yard :D ) that needed a home so I jumped on it when I could. Hey they were free and I had 3/4 of everything done for 2 hens. Got them at 9 weeks old and they still don't want me to touch them but will follow me if they think I have food. 2 light Sussex and 2 NH or Production Reds. They are hatchey birds so you never know and the sussex has ticking on the back, not completely white.

I will be semi-retired when this happens as I am right now. Most likely get a p/t job to fill in between playing with the chickens.

Before you say to start reading, I have and have so for the past 4 months. But I would have thought that all of the 'main' resources would have stats that are very close. Not . One says BO's lay 200+ eggs while another says 150. One says BA lay 300++ and docile while another says 200-250, and slightly flighty. :th
Last time I wanted the different breeds because it was not for selling of eggs to others but just for us and our 2 Danes (the eggs). And I really did research. This time I am looking to make a small living with this and enjoy the chickies. Yes my area is a good place to sell organic eggs and I will most likely get Certified but I would have to wait at least 3 years for the land to be certified Organic from when I buy it.

Thank you in advance. I know I still have a lot to search:caf and I have time to do it ;)

P.S. -- I want to make it clear that I DO have a LIST of what I like and am thinking about but wanted to put this out to get other opinions. NO I do not want to list them I am curious what others think. Obviously the BO and BA are on my list but BA is on the lower end for several reasons.
OMG I LOVE this Buff O FLUFFY !!! https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1v-CPqqDVAhXEdD4KHTitA_kQjRwIBw&url=https://www.pinterest.com/explore/buff-orpington/&psig=AFQjCNHP7mVhQrVoZbPwAc822QnLxBDJFA&ust=1500931052339485

Last edited:
Orpingtons, Barred rocks, and Black Australorps are all friendly, cold hard breeds that lay well.
My Orpingtons were super friendly, and laid about 5 eggs a week each. Temperament depends on how the birds were raised, some breeds are just more likely to be friendly, while other are more likely to be flighty

Last edited:
What would be your main focus for sales? Eggs only? Would you replace part or all of your flock at 2 years or so to maintain egg production? Would replacements be from a hatchery or do you plan to hatch your own?

The reason for the variation in egg laying abilities and temperaments of various breeds is due to the variations in the parent stock and how they are raised. Most opinions of Mediterraneans are of spazzy crazy birds. We have calm Buttercups, Minorcas and a brown Leghorn.

You are partial to Orpingtons. Nothing wrong with starting a flock of those only. You could work towards higher egg production too, though that would involve culling on your part. Not sure how involved you want to get with that sort of thing.

As for your "light Sussex", they are probably Columbian Rocks. Hatcheries only have speckled Sussex.

Keesmom, Yes I can cull when needed. I will have a Great Dane again by then and I feed raw, so it would be a win win for me (not that I like to do it :hit).

Mainly for the Eggs, but my dog freezer too once productionos done. But I don't mind keeping 'less laying egg hens' around to help with raising chicks :love

I would like to breed my own. And there lies the rub. Do I breed a true breed or would making Sex-links be better. And If I do Sex-links (which I would need to read more up on) I don't think I can breed back to a sex-link ? That is why I am thinking a true breed. I would know what I have and can biuld up the breeding for better egg production from the cull outs??

This is why I am asking now so I can study better for 2 years before I put it all in plan. I like to plan things out fully before I do it...... current rescue pullets not counted :D

Sex links are good layers, but their egg quality hit bottom at around 2 years due to reproductive problems, so I don't personally recommend them. The breeds I mentioned before are good mothers, breed true, and are also good meat birds

We have a couple of white Rocks (not a fan of barred birds). They're friendly and decent layers. We currently have an Australorp and and an Orpington. They are okay layers too.

Are you looking for just one breed or variety? Would you consider having a general layer flock and a separate breeder flock to play around with? I've had a breeder flock of Faverolles for years, but it's tiring looking at the same breed all the time. So we have a flock of various hens for the yard - multicolored feathers and multicolored eggs. Packages of organic assorted color eggs might appeal to customers, just a thought.

If you wanted to try that, and were looking for a white egg layer, you could try barred Hollands. I've never had them myself but they're the only non-Mediterranean breed I can think of that lays white eggs.

If you were interested in creating your own sex links the first post in this thread is a must read.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sex-linked-information.261208/

Yes I have saved that thread to read through. ;)

I was looking mainly for one breed and if I wanted to change to another breed I could start a new flock when the old flock peters out if that makes sense.
I love the golden laced look but looks are not everything. Mainly a higher yield egg production with the freezer option at end of laying life for the dog.

Plus was dual (for above reason) but also for the size to go through of touh Winters, when we have them.

Well I love Wyandottes! And mine do well here...so many pretties to choose from, even tho as you said, looks aren't everything. Mine are laying large eggs after first molt. I would love to have some buff brahmas as well. But I think they have feathered legs. Just my two cents...I don't breed or have a large flock. One of my Dottes is uber broody as well. If you are breeding that can be helpful...your plan sounds absolutely idyllic!

If I ever get more I will stick with the Dottes.

Back
Top Bottom