Gaah! Doggy day care staffed by fools, or what?

Thank you all for your replies, it's been a crazy couple of days at work. Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.

I think Wolf-kim is probably right; I've seen their staff let dogs get away with all sorts of dominance behaviors that are not appropriate towards people. The staff, when I see them interact with him, tend to go all "awww! whozza cute puppy den! whoozza cute puppy? YER A CUTE PUPPY YES YOU ARE!" as opposed to the firm, stern dominant attitude that is, shall we say, safer around a big dominant breed. It aggravates me because I would certainly hope that professional trainers would know better--even if you're not going to actually discipline a misbehaving dog, wouldn't you want to stand tall and be firm with them so they don't get any ideas? I guess not. Used to be, we would drop him off at daycare, and he would run around with the other dogs until he was exhausted, and then he'd go right to sleep the instant he got home. Apparently working the chickens and the barn has built up his stamina somewhat.

Bear Foot Farm, I will have to respectfully disagree with you; I feel that dogs not socialized to other dogs and strange situations are dangerous. Maybe not to the owner, but to other people. We've unfortunately seen the results of folks keeping an unsocialized Pyr in our own neighborhood--one bit two passers-by quite severely. Both my dogs understand how to guard and how to stand down, because they were specifically trained. I'd rather my dogs bark, growl, bump and herd intruders away than fear-bite--less chance of a lawsuit. I understand and respect your opinion though. I'm just saying, we're in a quasi-suburban situation where letting excessively territorial behavior run its course is probably not a good idea for us.

He's been very sorry since then, doing all his cutest tricks that he normally does when he thinks he's been bad. It's difficult, from talking to the vet staff and what my husband observed when he dropped Charlie off, to tell what they consider "normal behavior," just because their staff turnover is so high. They haven't seen him often enough to know what his normal self is like. It seems like the trainer is mostly trained in only one technique of teaching basic obedience, and mainly works with smaller dogs (obviously, we have been using a different trainer--our guy specializes in big dogs and training for working trials). I think we are going to have to look for someplace else just because I am not comfortable with them getting new people in all the time. Either the techs/daycare staff are too new on the job or they are not trained properly to handle a big dominant breed. It's one thing to have one or two newbies on staff, but when ALL of them are new and I don't see anyone I recognize, that's a problem. Also, this vet has a really weird schedule--our other dog goes to a different vet just because I happened to need an emergency appointment and the other vet was closed. So I could just take him to the other dog's vet, as they always have the same staff and are good at handling big dogs (other dog is a Newfie).

I've been taking him to the local hiking trails and state park on weekends, but since it started snowing so much, there's hardly anyone there. When we do meet someone, he behaves politely though, so this really threw me for a loop. For sure he has cabin fever, as the chickens refuse to go out in this weather, so he stays more or less indoors when we don't walk him. He gets six walks/day (DH and I work different shifts, we each do 3 walks), but no doubt he's got more energy than that.

Thanks again, folks!

Quote:
I am so glad things have worked out, and I am sorry you have lost faith in your daycare. One last thought you might consider. Lots of people are overly protective of thier dogs, and take a firm correction from a stranger to thier dog as abuse. Most daycares will not initiate ANY form of training or correction other than seperation for this reason. You have a big dog, and thankfully are aware that a firm hand is needed! most people however will quickly misconstrue a firm correction of thier beloved fluffy, and scream and rant and call the SPCA!

Like someone stated earlier, daycare is not a training session (and I am certain does not employ training professionals), and you probably wouldnt want it to be, it is a free for all playsession, and that does come with some potentially, tho usually temporary, side effects.

Sounds like you know what your going to do now tho, and I wish you luck!

Quote:
See, I don't get that. I would be terrified of being the poor bugger trying to explain to Cesar Millan why my dog had just torn someone's throat out. Charlie is ordinarily an extremely well-behaved gentleman--seriously, when he gets rambunctious with the Newfie, all I have to do is yell "Eh! Settle down!" or, if he's looking like he might be doing the nasty, yell "Bad touch!" and he stops right away and looks at me for further instruction. It's a rare and momentous occasion when I have to dish out a serious correction. He responds very quickly to people who stand up straight and walk tall. When our handyman comes over, he runs over and sits and offers a paw to shake hands. I can certainly understand the "ahhh, how cute!" reaction, but sheesh, it's a LOT safer to save the coo-coo noises and cuddles for kittens than for a 100 lb. dog.

Rosalind-exit stage left on that Daycare. You can search you area
for other facilities at http://www.petcareservices.org/
Since
you also mentioned your other dogs had had training perhaps
you have a trainer you can ask for a referral. Vets are good for medical issues.
They often arent the best place for Boarding or Daycare. They are good, however, for asking what Boarding or Daycare places have good reputations and low injury rates. Kudos to you for knowing your dog and for knowing how to address the needs of a smart, large dog.
Dont give up on Daycare, just that one.

PS. So many people wanting to work at these places think it will be fun "just playing with animals all day". Sure it is, it is also a tough job cleaning, being on your feet, and monitering so no one gets hurts.
I think high turnover comes with the territory.

Back
Top Bottom