Game Bird Startina BMD 50 for Coturnix Quail?

HandsomeRyan

Renaissance man
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Music City, USA
I purchased a bag of Purina Game Bird Startina BMD 50 crumbles from my local feed store and I intend to feed it to newly hatched Japanese (Coturnix) quail. The bag only says that it is labeled for pheasants so I wanted to clarify if this is an appropriate feed for young coturnix quail.

I have tried a search of the general and quail forums here but much of the information I've come across is hearsay and personal dogma about medicated feed rather than appearing to have any basis in nutritional science or actual testing. I'd love to hear a more authoritative answer about this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The active ingredient is Bacitracin which can also go by the names Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate and BMD. Your bag tag states that there is 50.0 G/T or 50 grams of BMD per ton so it looks like you should be fine feeding it.

Pheasants
Amount: 4 to 50 grams per ton of feed.
Indications: Increased rate of weight gain and improved feed efficiency.
Limitations: No limitations are included in the CFR for this species when using this product in this amount.
Quail
Amount: 5 to 20 grams per ton of feed.
Indications: For increased rate of weight gain and improved feed efficiency in quail not over 5 weeks of age.
Limitations: No limitations are included in the CFR for this species when using this product in this amount.
Quail (growing)
Amount: 200 grams per ton of feed.
Indications: For prevention of ulcerative enteritis in growing quail caused by Clostridium colinum susceptible to bacitracin methylene disalicylate.
Limitations: From Type A medicated articles containing 25, 40 or 50 grams of bacitracin methylene disalicylate. Feed continuously as the sole ration.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=046-592

.I'd call purina.
Good idea.

The active ingredient is Bacitracin which can also go by the names Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate and BMD. Your bag tag states that there is 50.0 G/T or 50 grams of BMD per ton so it looks like you should be fine feeding it.

Pheasants
Amount: 4 to 50 grams per ton of feed.
Indications: Increased rate of weight gain and improved feed efficiency.
Quail
Amount: 5 to 20 grams per ton of feed.
Indications: For increased rate of weight gain and improved feed efficiency in quail not over 5 weeks of age.
Quail (growing)
Amount: 200 grams per ton of feed.
Indications: For prevention of ulcerative enteritis in growing quail caused by Clostridium colinum susceptible to bacitracin methylene disalicylate.
Limitations: From Type A medicated articles containing 25, 40 or 50 grams of bacitracin methylene disalicylate. Feed continuously as the sole ration.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=046-592
Thank you for a well sourced answer! I love these forums but so few people cite where the information being shard comes from. This is exactly what I was looking for but my google ability is weak as I did not find this. If you ever find yourself in central Maryland I owe you a beer.

Back
Top Bottom