GAMES FOR EGGS and other fun prizes

Thank you WVduckchick! Would you like to host a game?

I'll get with Ravyn and maybe we can figure something out!

Broodies and babies and their flocks are always a test. I have ones that willingly accept incubator babies, and others that wouldn't. Flocks that other hens have attacked babies, and some that live in perfect harmony. You just never know till ya try!

I always keep my broodies with the flock. They're all very tolerant of them. The only issues I have is when there are multiple broodies with babies around the same age because they all want them all lol

Last edited:
I've had hens smother their chicks, and abandon their chicks. Their success rate generally is so low I'd rather use the incubators. However, I let a a project broody hatch and keep chicks with the flock this year without issues. The second time I allowed the broodies to keep their eggs, I had two broodies in separate pens hatch within a day of each other. So I moved one hen and her chicks to the other hen's pen. In this case they were the only birds in that pen. One hen took over all the chicks and the other hen went back to sitting (imaginary) eggs. It was like they mutually agreed on that arrangement.

I've had hens smother their chicks, and abandon their chicks. Their success rate generally is so low I'd rather use the incubators. However, I let a a project broody hatch and keep chicks with the flock this year without issues. The second time I allowed the broodies to keep their eggs, I had two broodies in separate pens hatch within a day of each other. So I moved one hen and her chicks to the other hen's pen. In this case they were the only birds in that pen. One hen took over all the chicks and the other hen went back to sitting (imaginary) eggs. It was like they mutually agreed on that arrangement.
I've had 2 successful broodies so far this year: a chicken and a duck. (The chicken is a naked neck, gotta love those "cuggly"{cute and ugly} little naked neck chicks.)

I've had 2 successful broodies so far this year: a chicken and a duck. (The chicken is a naked neck, gotta love those "cuggly"{cute and ugly} little naked neck chicks.)

My most reliable broody is on her 4th clutch this year lol. She's a silver penciled rock.

IMG_2314.JPG

My muscovies keep telling me that they want to hatch but I don't want anymore ducks so I keto breaking them lol. They didn't do well with the chicken eggs I tried to let them hatch.

My most reliable broody is on her 4th clutch this year lol. She's a silver penciled rock.

View attachment 1129333

My muscovies keep telling me that they want to hatch but I don't want anymore ducks so I keto breaking them lol. They didn't do well with the chicken eggs I tried to let them hatch.
Cute! Here's my duck (BTW: broody ducks sound a bit like a cat when they hiss at you to stay away from their babies.) IMG_20170605_163130624.jpg

Back
Top Bottom