Gander ate a spider - will he be OK?

It could be a daddy long leg like Tonyroo said, or it could be a cellar spider.
Cellar spiders and daddy long legs are often confused, but daddy long legs aren’t even spiders.
Cellar spiders are technically highly venomous, but their fangs are too small to puncture through human skin to be a threat to us “or so I’ve heard” so I don’t think they pose any threat to birds either. Considering the amount of cellar spiders that take up residence in people’s homes and the fact that there aren’t reports of people or animals having issues with them I don’t think they pose a threat.
It’s always safe to be cautious though, you’re a wonderful goose parent for looking out for your boy!

Thanks for all the replies.

It's eight-leg, so it's indeed a spider or close species. It's highly likely daddy long legs or cellar spiders like some of the replies say.

One night has passed, and he doesn't seem affected by eating it. It looks like even if there's venom, the amount is small enough.

Thanks for all the replies.

It's eight-leg, so it's indeed a spider or close species. It's highly likely daddy long legs or cellar spiders like some of the replies say.

One night has passed, and he doesn't seem affected by eating it. It looks like even if there's venom, the amount is small enough.
To help with worry.
Venoms need to be injected to have an effect, most venoms actually be ingested with minimal or no effect to the subject, unless there is an actual wound in the digestive system.

Whatll happen is the spider will be stuck in its crop, looking for a way to escape since the crop is a bit larger than the stomach area etc, so the spider will snoop.... eventually soon enough though, the crop closes down like a funnel, and as designed, everything in there gets funneled into the long waiting stomach. In the stomach the spider is going to be greeted by a big hug as peristalsis sets a new motion on it and it gets its first real coat of tummy acids and enzymes that will we working on the spider to break it down into usable nutrients that your duck can use. Basically the spider at this point, will panic, and will run around and around until it gets pooped out, and then everything is over. One last pinch and it'll be carving it's name in drakes B hole on the way out, my spyder was here...

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom