gander on a rampage

alpha goose

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2015
i have a pair of africans just a year old. she is laying in the woods and i've not seen or been near her nest. yet, my gander has started attacking. he is putting his head to the ground, flapping his wings and coming in for the landing. pinching and biting. i ignore him but he hunts me down and starts up his attack again. i have been told that should he have to be eliminated, his goose will grieve, starve and suffer til her own death. is this true? thank you

welcome-byc.gif
I'm not certain that she would grieve to death, but without his protection she would most likely be killed by predators. 'The woods' is not a safe place to brood. Don't tolerate his over protective BS - swat him with a broom or feed bag when he attacks. It doesn't have to be brutal - just enough to tell him, "Back off I won't tolerate this."

yes, i am running him away from me and not backing down. i should have explained. she is in woods right here near me. during the day when they are out she is as safe as when cooped up.

Last edited:
she lays in the morning but is not sitting. put in their fenced area with mini barn for night.

she lays in the morning but is not sitting. put in their fenced area with mini barn for night.
I would discourage the laying of an egg anywhere other than the mini barn because when she does decide to sit and brood she is going to chose the unsafe place. Take all of her eggs and put them in the mini barn if you have a piece of ply wood lean it against the wall and screw in so it doesn't fall onto her this will give her a bit of privacy and if she sees her eggs under and in this nest might get to into liking this place better than the woods. If you want I can show you a pic of what I did for my goose. Mine wants to lay in the ducks house but she cannot brood in there so I am working on getting her interested in her own house to lay. If your worried about the gander going after you then put them inside the pen and go get the eggs then destroy that nest in the woods and put the eggs in the mini barn after.

Last edited:
i can section off her mini bar if she wants to sit. the horses barn butts up to the wooded area where she lays her eggs. i go at night and get them after geese are in for the night. i have a huge space here and the male goose comes after me when and where ever he sees me. i can be on the other side of my property minding my own business and walla, here he comes, lookin for trouble. wings out, running, head to the ground, the attack is on. thats where the problem lies. neither her or the eggs are being threatened. he has his own agenda.

i can section off her mini bar if she wants to sit. the horses barn butts up to the wooded area where she lays her eggs. i go at night and get them after geese are in for the night. i have a huge space here and the male goose comes after me when and where ever he sees me. i can be on the other side of my property minding my own business and walla, here he comes, lookin for trouble. wings out, running, head to the ground, the attack is on. thats where the problem lies. neither her or the eggs are being threatened. he has his own agenda.
Problem is they don't know they aren't threatened, to them everything is a threat. lol including us. I had to take both my ganders the other morning and hold them to the ground, I realized right then I need longer arms. lol
Maybe placing her eggs in the mini barn will entice her to lay in there. Be worth a try.
smile.png

i know! i'm trying to back mine down too. his "protectiveness" is driving me nuts. :)
They can be a handful for sure. You'd think they'd learn after a while but nope they just can't seem to make the connection that we aren't a threat. Just to walk past mine I either have to use the bucket I put the messy shaving in when I clean out the stalls or carry my bamboo pole . My gander will attack the pole too he's nuts.

Back
Top Bottom