Geese Questions

The gosling sounds absolutely adorable! I've heard that geese can eat any number of leafy greens, excluding spinach. I've also heard cottage cheese, crushed Cheerio's, and crushed dog/ cat food may hold him off. The hair pulling is hopefully just a phase, most grow out of it!

Sounds like geese have a weird diet when need be xD and I hope the hair eating stops soon, he's going to end up with a hairball in his belly if he doesn't.

It was wandering around a school yard. It doesn't look sick or injured. It's in a comfortable cage. For now. I will call wild life place. I've given it food and water it's peaceful and content.

It was wandering around a school yard. It doesn't look sick or injured. It's in a comfortable cage. For now. I will call wild life place. I've given it food and water it's peaceful and content.
Sweet of you to help. Were you able to walk up to it? might belong to someone can you post a pic?

Hi there!

I've raised geese before when I was a kid--we had a pair of Embdens, and they were ever so helpful that I had to distract the geese while my dad worked on the car so they wouldn't nibble his feet and steal his tools while he was under 2 tons of metal. Our neighbor's Weimeraner got out and killed them when they were only a few months old.

Now I have property of my own, and I'm looking at getting some geese. I loved my Embdens, but my roommate wants standard Toulouse, and I think I can oblige. (Has anyone kept both? How do they compare?) I have chickens, turkeys, and guineas running around my 5 acres in various places. I'm thinking of building them a coop and enclosing it in a 10'x10' chainlink fence. I saw pictures of a 55-gallon barrel chopped in half as a wading pool, and I would probably give them one of those in their enclosure. They would get a chance to free-range on a fairly regular basis, and be locked up at night. Do they go back to their coop like chickens?

I want to get them for many reasons. The guineas are my watchdogs in the back yard, and they would be my watchdogs in the front yard. They like to nibble young tender weeds, and I need all the help I can get on weeding. I want to keep breeders as spoiled pets, and raise offspring for food. It's just myself and my roommate, and I know a goose can make a lot of meals, considering I can get 3 out of a 5-lb duck. My main goal is to be sustainable--the geese can feed themselves on my 5 acres, and I can feed us on the geese as well as using their feathers. I have incubators and I have hatched a wide variety of eggs before, so I could collect and hatch eggs. Goslings could also be a small source of income.

So my questions--how many Tolouse geese should I get to produce some for food? How big should the coop be for those geese? If their coop is in close proximity to the chickens and they are free-ranged together, will they treat the chickens as neighbors or will they be aggressive? Has anyone used sprouted fodder for geese as a supplement (for example, in the wintertime, when my grass goes dormant)?

Can anyone tell me why my Chinese Geese keep digging holes and muddying their water?

Can anyone tell me why my Chinese Geese keep digging holes and muddying their water?

If they didn't I'd suspect something was wrong with them. "water" fowl love water and love to play in it mine even put object in their buckets like rocks and twigs. It's very normal behavior.

I have this pair of geese that I bought at BigR, and think they are Pilgrim geese. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom