Geese vs. Guinea Fowl

Crandox

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2022
I was thinking of getting either geese or guinea fowl to live in my backyard area, which has neighbors relatively close by and I was wondering are guinea fowl actually quieter than geese? That’s how it seems based on videos I’ve seen. If I get geese I only want a pair or trio. Are African geese quieter than Chinese geese? I already have ducks with no problems how does the noise of geese compare to ducks?

I have no expierience with Africans or Chinese as breeds, mine are Toulouse, Buff, and Roman, but I’ve heard Africans are quieter than Chinese.

As for guineas I can confirm that your neighbors will probably despise you if you have guineas. My neighbor has guineas, personally the sound doesn’t bother me, but others have described their sound as a Satan’s jackhammer. My grandma has neighbors with guineas and she can hardly deal with the sound.

I would also check with your neighbors first to clear it if it’s all right with them, also check any neighborhood ordinances to see if you’re even allowed to have “poultry” on your property. Geese are definitly quieter than guineas, but their honk is considered loud, even intolerable to some.

Different people have different tolerances too, my geese aren’t a bother to me, the neighbor’s guineas aren’t either, but not everyone is like me.

I have no expierience with Africans or Chinese as breeds, mine are Toulouse, Buff, and Roman, but I’ve heard Africans are quieter than Chinese.

As for guineas I can confirm that your neighbors will probably despise you if you have guineas. My neighbor has guineas, personally the sound doesn’t bother me, but others have described their sound as a Satan’s jackhammer. My grandma has neighbors with guineas and she can hardly deal with the sound.

I would also check with your neighbors first to clear it if it’s all right with them, also check any neighborhood ordinances to see if you’re even allowed to have “poultry” on your property. Geese are definitly quieter than guineas, but their honk is considered loud, even intolerable to some.

Different people have different tolerances too, my geese aren’t a bother to me, the neighbor’s guineas aren’t either, but not everyone is like me.
Ok thanks for the informative answer, I have had crowing roosters in the past and duck quacking right now with no complaints or problems. My neighbors have loud dogs too so I don’t think the noise is a huge issue for them. Like I said I only want three geese and I think total number of geese or guineas is the biggest determining factor in noise level.

As someone with different breeds of geese, my loudest ones/ones who honk the most are my Chinese and African geese (girls) and all of the ganders (embden and saddleback pomeranian). The quietest is probably our sebastapol and saddleback pomeranian girls. Even then, they will still go into yelling sessions occasionally. Geese are just talkative by nature.

All of the geese derived from Swan Geese (Chinese and Africans) are fairly loud. I would recommend something else. My American Buffs are generally quiet. My Grey Saddleback Pomeranians are not.

Before you decide on guineas, fill a bucket with rocks, tie a rope to it and drag it around your driveway while screaming like Donnie on the Wild Thornberrys.
the wild thornberrys 90s GIF

If you enjoy the exercise and your neighbors don't have you committed, then you may proceed with the purchase of guineas.

I have both and the guineas are way louder and they make noise more frequently at all hours of the day and night.
Seconding this. Chinese geese can be loud but it's not a constant, they're only really honking when they're being fed or something interesting/exciting/new/scary shows up. They're usually silent at night and during downtime throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom