Geese ???

Puggly

Hatching
Jul 20, 2023
Can anyone tell me how old and possibly what breed these are? I was given them because I have chickens, but they called them geese šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø not ducks. When can I let them free range?

Attachments

• IMG_3777.jpeg
    IMG_3777.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_3791.jpeg
    IMG_3791.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
well they look young like only a week or so old.
it is possible they are pilgrim geese and all 3 ganders, perhaps thats why they gave them away

Could be pilgrims, I donā€™t raise that breed so Iā€™m not familiar with that breed. You canā€™t tell gender of a goose until theyā€™re close to a year old and in most cases you have to wait until you get an egg to know.
Here is a google pic of pilgrim goslings
View attachment 3583112
pilgrims are auto sexing only the ganders are yellow as goslings and white as adults. the females are gray and yellow - gray and white

White Chinese about a week old, the larger is around 2 weeks old. Itā€™s too young to tell sex by looking at them at this point.

Generally mature ganders have a longer neck in proportion to their bodies than females but Chinese type geese naturally have very long graceful necks so itā€™s a bit harder to tell. Ganders naturally want to be protective of females and will get between them and whoever, however theyā€™ll also be protective of other ganders who theyā€™ve bonded with.

Goslings can be sexed but itā€™s usually only done when theyā€™re a few days old, after that it gets harder and they get squirmier.

Back
Top Bottom