Geese ???

Puggly

Hatching
Jul 20, 2023
Can anyone tell me how old and possibly what breed these are? I was given them because I have chickens, but they called them geese 🤷‍♀️ not ducks. When can I let them free range?

Attachments

• IMG_3777.jpeg
    IMG_3777.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_3791.jpeg
    IMG_3791.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
well they look young like only a week or so old.
it is possible they are pilgrim geese and all 3 ganders, perhaps thats why they gave them away

Could be pilgrims, I don’t raise that breed so I’m not familiar with that breed. You can’t tell gender of a goose until they’re close to a year old and in most cases you have to wait until you get an egg to know.
Here is a google pic of pilgrim goslings
View attachment 3583112
pilgrims are auto sexing only the ganders are yellow as goslings and white as adults. the females are gray and yellow - gray and white

White Chinese about a week old, the larger is around 2 weeks old. It’s too young to tell sex by looking at them at this point.

Generally mature ganders have a longer neck in proportion to their bodies than females but Chinese type geese naturally have very long graceful necks so it’s a bit harder to tell. Ganders naturally want to be protective of females and will get between them and whoever, however they’ll also be protective of other ganders who they’ve bonded with.

Goslings can be sexed but it’s usually only done when they’re a few days old, after that it gets harder and they get squirmier.

Back
Top Bottom