Gender guess: 6 weeks old Australorps UPDATED: 8, 9 and 10 weeks

All pullets. In my experience, australorps tend to red up a bit early.
Thank you, that would be really good! Can I ask you what do you mean with "a bit early"? Watching other users pictures, I saw some red in 6 weeks old Australorp chicks that then turned out to be pullets, so I don't really understand what is early red!

6 weeks is considered early. Most times a pullet won't start reddening up until closer to laying but most of my australorp hens were red around 6 weeks. Males will have much bigger combs.

Thank you, that would be really good! Can I ask you what do you mean with "a bit early"? Watching other users pictures, I saw some red in 6 weeks old Australorp chicks that then turned out to be pullets, so I don't really understand what is early red!

Also, watch the size of their legs. Bigger, thicker legs, compared to the others, can be a cockerel.
I tried to go off this will my current 11 wk old chicks. The one that is a definite male is the same size as the definite pullets and the legs are also the same size. I was swearing that they were all pullets b/c none were any bigger than the others and all their legs are still the same size. Had me guessing for weeks; this week I finally conceded that the one is definitely a cockerel and I suspect another one is too. Getting close up up saddles tonight to submit for group consensus.

That's exactly what I thought: 6 weeks old Australorp cockerels usually have bigger combs! Thank you so much, now I feel optimistic again 😊
I thought that too. At six weeks many told me they looked to be pullets. Here are the six week pictures of the two I am questioning. #1 is definitely a cockerel. #2 I should get confirmation on tonight when I post a close up of the saddle feathers. I will let you know.

I hope I am wrong about yours. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20230116_140741439~3(1).jpg
    PXL_20230116_140741439~3(1).jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20230116_140703672~2(1).jpg
    PXL_20230116_140703672~2(1).jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20230116_140621648~2.jpg
    PXL_20230116_140621648~2.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20230116_140613564~2.jpg
    PXL_20230116_140613564~2.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 33
I thought that too. At six weeks many told me they looked to be pullets. Here are the six week pictures of the two I am questioning. #1 is definitely a cockerel. #2 I should get confirmation on tonight when I post a close up of the saddle feathers. I will let you know.
Yes, I saw your old post in the past days (I guess I scrolled this forum section until the beginning of the time!) and now it's going to be hard to explain which chicks I'm referring to, because they had different numbers there... I attach here a picture for reference:
Immagine 2023-02-23 104325.jpg
It's strange that the one who was your number 1 in your original post seemed to have much more red than the one who was called number 3... yet number 1 turned out to be a pullet and the one who was called number 3 turned out to be male (still to be confirmed with close up pictures, right?). If this is true I guess there's no point in searching for clues! 😆

Mine don't have so much red as your number 1 and 2 in your original post, but they definitely could be cockerels... especially if your number 3 it is! These are them today, they are almost 7 weeks old now.
P1130744.JPG
P1130742.JPG

Well, I'm keeping fingers crossed for your number 3, hope to see your post updated soon! 😉

Yes, I saw your old post in the past days (I guess I scrolled this forum section until the beginning of the time!) and now it's going to be hard to explain which chicks I'm referring to, because they had different numbers there... I attach here a picture for reference: View attachment 3413429It's strange that the one who was your number 1 in your original post seemed to have much more red than the one who was called number 3... yet number 1 turned out to be a pullet and the one who was called number 3 turned out to be male (still to be confirmed with close up pictures, right?). If this is true I guess there's no point in searching for clues! 😆

Mine don't have so much red as your number 1 and 2 in your original post, but they definitely could be cockerels... especially if your number 3 it is! These are them today, they are almost 7 weeks old now. View attachment 3413427View attachment 3413428
Well, I'm keeping fingers crossed for your number 3, hope to see your post updated soon! 😉
Yeah, my numbers don't translate between posts. They were strictly for that post at that time. My latest post of the confirmed cockerel (#1 in this post) was the one at 6 weeks that had the most red. Sorry for confusion. At any rate, you have beautiful chicks and of course, time will tell what you have. It is hard to wait, especially if you know that you have to get rid of one, which is so sad. I hate having to get rid of one of mine, especially if I don't know the person that is adopting him. My #1 in this post started crowing about week 8, so keep your ears open. I didn't want to believe my husband when he told me he heard crowing. HAHAHA

Have a wonderful day and I hope your waiting produces great results! Keep us updated. :)

Hi! My chicks are going to be 8 weeks tomorrow (now I know that they were born on january 5, so they were a couple of days older than 6 weeks in my first post). They haven't changed much: they are just a little bigger.
The blue one is the only one I can tell is a pullet, but what about the other 3? I now realize that I could have 3 boys and 1 girl, but I'm not sure and there was no consensus when they were 6 weeks old, so here we go again: what do you think?
I'm afraid I'll have to wait some more time, but please express your opinion! Thank you very much!
P1140033.JPG
P1140048.JPG
P1140067.JPG
P1140108.JPG
P1140103.JPG
P1140054.JPG
P1140059.JPG
P1140086.JPG

Back
Top Bottom