Gender identification

What about the pointy tail feathers? Have you ever seen a pullet or hen having them?
It is actually pretty common for pullets to have those pointy tail feathers, at least in my experience. They lose the pointy tail feathers when they grow in new tail feathers, so if she is a pullet, than she will probably lose them soon.
I am still going with pullet. I’m not 100% sure, but after watching the video and seeing the feathers better, I am even more sure it’s a pullet.

It is actually pretty common for pullets to have those pointy tail feathers, at least in my experience. They lose the pointy tail feathers when they grow in new tail feathers, so if she is a pullet, than she will probably lose them soon.
I am still going with pullet. I’m not 100% sure, but after watching the video and seeing the feathers better, I am even more sure it’s a pullet.
This is the information I was looking for!!! You are a legend my guy <3

@NatJ I got it now although it took me some time to understand :lol:. Your knowledge about the biology of chickens is stunning not gonna lie. You must be a teacher or something?
I just got fascinated by the subject of chicken genetics some years ago, and I've been slowly learning more and more over time. By now, it adds up to a lot.

If you are interested in learning more yourself:

http://www.sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html
I find this site helpful. That page has links to several other pages: one talks about basic genetics, one discusses some specific details of chicken genetics, and one has a list of chicken genes with a small amount of information about each one.

http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html
This can model what a chicken looks like, when you change the genes in the dropdown boxes. It can also figure what genes are likely in the offspring, but I mostly just play with the genes and watch the pictures change.

The default setting has genes marked with + which means they are the ones found in the wild junglefowl ancestors.

To model the genes I think your chickens you have, I would change these genes from the defaults:
Blue Rooster:
E/E (Extended black, makes a chicken black all over)
Bl/bl+ (one copy of the Blue gene, changes black to a shade of gray)

ISA Brown Hen:
E^Wh/W^WH (Wheaten, affects how the gold & black are located on the chicken)
Co/Co (Columbian, re-arranges the gold & black somewhat)
Mh/Mh (Mahogany, changes the gold to red)
I/i+ (Dominant White changes black to white. The ISA Brown probably has just one copy of this gene.)

Chick:
E/E^Wh (Extended Black, carries Wheaten. Because Extended Black is dominant, it is what shows.)
[Columbian and Mahogany will have no visible effect on a black or white chicken]
Bl/bl+ or bl+/bl+ (I don't know whether the chick has blue or not.)
I/i+ (Dominant White, changes black to white. The chick only has one copy of this gene, because the mother had it but the father did not.)

For modeling future generations: the ISA Brown hen has s+ (gold), but there is a chance of the Andalusian father having S (silver). So the chick might have silver as well, which could be visible in any future chicks that do not show E (Extended Black.)

Also don't forget to take a look at this video as it can make it easier for you to identify the gender of my chick.
I did look, but it didn't change my opinion: chick could be female or male, based on what is visible at this time. Nothing says it must be male, but nothing says it must be female.

Pretty clearly a pullet to me at 12+ weeks. I've had quite a few with large combs/wattles at that age and by now it's stopped surprising me. :)
It just turned 13 weeks yesterday. If you think its a pullet for certain, then I do so! Especially because you said you had pullets with larger Combs and wattles than usual :D

Back
Top Bottom