Gender of bantam Cochin silkie mix???

He fought with my 2 little Sebright roos when I first brought him home. But then by the next day they were buddies, sharing a roost. Then less than a week later both my Sebright roos died suddenly within 24hrs of each other. I really have no clue why. Maybe injured or maybe completely unrelated. But since then everyone seems to be getting along ok. I have not seen him try to mate with anyone yet, but it's been cold. I wasn't planning on keeping roosters. The Sebrights were supposed to be pullets too. They were too tiny to mate with the hens I have. I named this bird Pepper, and he's super pretty. I hope he is not too pushy with the girls so I can keep him.

IMG_20180129_130558-01.jpeg
This was taken just before the Sebright died.

Last edited:
Sexing some of my favorite chickens is so difficult. I love the silkies, Polish, the Sebrights. Now my flock is all silkies and the silkie Cochin mix roo. I want a couple Polish girls but don't want to risk the potential conflict between Pepper and new flock members in case they are actually roos. Especially because the Polish chickens usually are at a disadvantage visually.

Sexing some of my favorite chickens is so difficult. I love the silkies, Polish, the Sebrights. Now my flock is all silkies and the silkie Cochin mix roo. I want a couple Polish girls but don't want to risk the potential conflict between Pepper and new flock members in case they are actually roos. Especially because the Polish chickens usually are at a disadvantage visually.

I know, I really wanted to have a breeding pair of Silkies since we have an extra breeding pen. But these two we purchased from a breeder have turned out to both being boys. And we already have SO many boys running around. Lol

Hey they silkie Cochin mix is not working out. He's been too agressive in his attempts to mate with one of my hens. I don't have a very big coop or a sustainable way to keep them separate and safe/happy. could you take him back. He's a beauty but I really can't keep him.

Back
Top Bottom