genetic question

UBkevy

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Buffalo
Does anyone have a website that tells what breeds and what genders have what genes. And what each gene does roughly?

that helps. but i am interested in trying to breed chickens to create a flock that fits my needs. so i need to know if its better to breed a male Sussex to a hen to help with quality meat or another breed male to a Sussex female. the same for things like growth rate, maturing rates and egg color, size and production. I kinda want a NHR or RIR growth rate and egg production, with Sussex meat quality. I have a few breeds that i like but there are other characteristics I would like to add to them, if I can.

i use that chart often haha, but i wondered if there was a group of genes that created a certain growth rate or egg color. and what they might be

not really a help then...I am sorry
hit.gif

Quote:
Well the 2nd link..helps tell about the growth rat and egg size an color....so combine a few charts and make your won may help

Do you know about sexlinked inheritance?
The genes that are not sexlinked should not be affected by gender choice.
The number of sexlinked genes of interest will be limited.
There are sexlinked bantamizing genes, and one sexlinked gene that inhibits brown eggshell color to an extend.
Brown eggshell color is determined by a multitude of genes that add up.

This might help -
The following traditional table chicken hybrid crosses will grow in 8 to 10 weeks, are broad breasted. Most have white feathers and skin for a clean carcuss and white skin.
Light Sussex x White Wyandotte
An excellent table chicken but care must be taken in selecting the breeders so the breast bone of the offspring is not too high. Care should also be taken in selecting the White Wyandotte hens, they must not have any black in the legs in order to get good white fleshed table bird. These are fast growing birds that are short legged, carrying lots of meat. Feathers are white with the odd black fleck. Almost all of these birds will be white fleshed.
White Wyandotte X Light Sussex
Take care in selecting the White Wyandotte Cocks, they must not have any black in the legs in order to get good white fleshed table bird. Some chicks will have a yellow skin but other than this, the resulting birds are much the same as the Light Sussex X White Wyandotte cross mentioned above.
Indian Game X Rhode Island Red
This produces a yellow skinned bird which can be greatly enhanced in colour by feeding maize and allowing access to fresh green grass. The Rhode Island Red is a fast growing breed which dominates the slower growing Indian Game. Indian Game cocks should be at least a year old so that fertility is high. Since Rhode Island Reds are prolific layers, there is never any shortage of hatching egg
*Indian Game X Sussex on Light Sussex
This is a second cross that was once very popular to produce a very meaty white fleshed table bird. The first cross results in slow growth but the second results in very fast growth

Note - First breed is the rooster and the second breed would be your hen.

* With the Indian Game X Sussex on Light Sussex you would breed a Indian Game male to a Light Sussex female then you would take there best F1 male and cross it back to a Light Sussex female.
** Your best outcome will come from fowl that are out of breeder stock and not out of hatchery stock.

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom