Genetic Research on Charcoal Peafowl!

Birdrain92

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Idaho
I talked to the Genetic professor at South Dakota State University yesterday. I introduced myself, told him that I'm part of the United Peafowl Association, explained that Charcoal peafowl are a variety of peafowl that have had some problems with the variety. The biggest issue with them is the peahens are sterile. After some filling in blank spaces about peafowl, I was able to peak his interest enough that he wants me to put a PowerPoint together to teach him. He also agreed to helping me with my genetic research project that I want to do on Charcoal peafowl, to see what's causing the infertility. Now I get to do some genetic research on Charcoal peafowl. He seems very interested and wants to learn more. He told me that I could apply for an undergrad grant and it could cover the genome testing on them. There are a few things I need to do, get a PowerPoint for him to teach him more on peafowl. This is going to be fairly easy for me to get the material, as for how fast he'll learn don't know. He seemed to be able to follow along when I started explaining some details further. I also need to see if I can get pedigrees on some Charcoal peafowl from Charcoal peafowl breeders. After that I can get blood samples, the professor says the blood should work for genome testing. I shouldn't need many blood samples since it's trying to learn the relationship between the color and fertility. So eventually I will need blood samples from Charcoal peacocks, peahens, and Indian Blue peacocks and peahens. The reason for the IB blood samples is so we can look at the genetic code of the original peafowl. Then comparing it to Charcoals genes we should be able to see the differences. As for the genome reading part, that's what I need the professor for. I have no idea how to read and interpret a genome map. I'm so excited that I get to do genetic research project on Charcoal peafowl. There's one hold up to it, not a bad one though, the professor is going to be leaving next week and won't be back til mid September. At least this gives me time to set up a PowerPoint and hopefully get Pedigrees from Charcoal breeders. The professor also said that out of the 9 years he's been teaching, he's never had a freshman, within the first week of school, walk into his office wanting to do genetic research, especially on peafowl. He also said that he's never seen a student like me before. I'm so happy!
celebrate.gif

thumbsup.gif

How they behave?
It is not a hormonal problem? they have the interest to breeding? are they interested by the peacock?
Is there matings if they met peacocks?
A hormonal dosage would be necessary ... to compare with hormonale dosage of sexualy active blue peahen.
Why the blue peahen split charcoal lay?... Or if there is only one gene Charcoal breeding is possible!

It has been said that a Charcoal spalding peahen have laid eggs .... true or false?

I'm not sure of what you're asking entirely. What my plan is, is to run genome testing to learn if the infertility trait and the color trait are part of the same gene or different genes. If they're separate genes it can be bred out. If they're the same gene then hens will always be sterile.

I have a hen that carries one copy cameo, two copies charcoal. So far, at year 5, she has not laid, and I have a feeling she won't. Any actual research into the charcoal canudrum will benefit breeders. My concern with the comparison to an IB is the purity of them. It may prove difficult, but a zoo may be your best option. It sounds like a good plan. Good luck, and hopefully it is something hormonal as Danny speculated, and can be adjusted through feed supplements.

I have a hen that carries one copy cameo, two copies charcoal. So far, at year 5, she has not laid, and I have a feeling she won't. Any actual research into the charcoal canudrum will benefit breeders. My concern with the comparison to an IB is the purity of them. It may prove difficult, but a zoo may be your best option. It sounds like a good plan. Good luck, and hopefully it is something hormonal as Danny speculated, and can be adjusted through feed supplements.

This confuses me. I thought that hens were only the color they appear to be and could not be split to another color. @DylansMom ?

@Arbor...is the hen Cameo or charcoal? If she is cameo (sex linked) she would have room for only 1 copy of the Cameo gene where it is located on the DNA. If the charcoal gene is located elsewhere on the DNA she could theoretically carry those charcoal genes and if they are recessive to the Cameo they would not show themselves.. ???

Back
Top Bottom