genetic

"Silver Pied: A pattern in which the bird is primarily white \vith splashes of color intermixed. The amount of color may vary bird to bird. Silver pied pattern also carries a white eye expression in which all tail feathers will be white eyed. The silver pied carries a silver pied gene, a white gene, and tags on a white eye gene." Jay Louden

"Two We genes on a pied doesn't make it a silver pied but often phenotype looks very similar to silver pied."Jay Louden

????
a Silver pied gene ?

This would be the mysterious "silver dusting" gene -- if it exists. It seems to be the distinguishing characteristic between Silver Pied and Pied Double Factor White-Eye. It might be a separate gene, or it might be another version of the White Eye gene, or it may simply be the result of variable expression. I've seen pics of the by-product "Dark Pied Double Factor White-Eyed" which show the "silver dusting" on the wings -- I say "by-product" because when breeding Silver Pied X Silver Pied, you get 25% Dark Pied Double Factor White-Eyed.

But if it truly is a separate gene, one would probably be able to see "silver dusting" on its own, without the White-Eyed or Pied or White genes. Thus far, I haven't found pics of peafowl with "silver dusting" without also showing White-Eyed. But to be honest, I'm not really looking that hard. I don't have peafowl, I won't be able to have them for a few years, and I personally don't like any of the Pied variants. Anything I learned about this whole topic was to try and answer questions posted here.

:)

An other question !

IB Pied X White = 50% [COLOR=FF0000]IB Pied[/COLOR]+ 50% White.
Opal Pied X White = 50% Opal Pied + 50% [COLOR=FF0000]White[/COLOR][COLOR=000080] .[/COLOR]

Then I breed those in red .....[COLOR=FF0000] IB Pied X White[/COLOR] = 50% IB Pied + 50% White.
Opal color has  disappeared ?

Opal pied x white = 50% IB pied split opal + 50% white split opal
Unless you breed these two offspring together or back to opal pied, you won't get more opal pied.

That's my questioin too !

All peafowl with P/W/We/We genes are Silver pied ? .... with "silver dusting" , or only some of them ?
Can we build a Silver Pied in some generations using peafowl with all the genes we need ... step by step - is there a recipe or is it something it happened one day and nobody know exactly how it happened ?

That's my questioin too !

All peafowl with P/W/We/We genes are Silver pied ? .... with "silver dusting" , or only some of them ?
Can we build a Silver Pied in some generations using peafowl with all the genes we need ... step by step - is there a recipe or is it something it happened one day and nobody know exactly how it happened ?

Only some. There is a mystery ingredient. Where that mystery ingredient resides is still a question but I believe it is linked to the WE genes. Spent some time playing and here is one example:

Dad:

Obviously Cameo Pied White Eye

Mom:

Obviously Cameo Pied White Eye

Out of that pairing you would expect Cameo Pied White 50% of the time all other things being equal right.

Chick #1:

Yep, Got a bunch of Cameo Pied White Eyes! As well as some whites and dark pieds. But wait, we also got something else!

Guess What!

Cameo Silver Pieds!

To get these parents we split the WE in silver pieds so the parents should be split silver pied but still full WE. In other words one normal WE gene and one silver pied WE gene. I also got another trio of cameo pied we from Bard Legg that throws the same chicks so I assume he is making the cameo pied white eyes from silver pieds.

To get these parents we split the WE in silver pieds so the parents should be split silver pied but still full WE. In other words one normal WE gene and one silver pied WE gene. I also got another trio of cameo pied we from Bard Legg that throws the same chicks so I assume he is making the cameo pied white eyes from silver pieds.

Such beautiful birds AugeredIn! I have been in contact with Brad about buying some Cameo Pied WE but after seeing your birds I am definitely sold now. DW and I are going to go up later in the week to pick them up. I plan to pair them up with my IB Pied WE split Cameo cock. What should I expect to get from that?

Such beautiful birds AugeredIn! I have been in contact with Brad about buying some Cameo Pied WE but after seeing your birds I am definitely sold now. DW and I are going to go up later in the week to pick them up. I plan to pair them up with my IB Pied WE split Cameo cock. What should I expect to get from that?
Well you will get IB Pied WE hens, Cameo Pied WE hens, White IB WE hens, White Cameo WE hens, IB dark pied WE hens, Cameo dark pied WE hens, IB pied WE males split Cameo, Cameo pied WE males, White IB WE males split Cameo, White Cameo WE males, IB dark pied WE males split Cameo and Cameo dark pied WE males. Note that I fully describe the genetics of the white birds.

If the male and female have the "silver pied" version of the WE gene (if it exists like I suggest), you could get silver pieds and silver pied splits.

Back
Top Bottom