Genetics of pilgrim gander crossed with a buff goose

soulshineacres

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2023
Does anybody know what the offspring would look like of a male pilgrim mating with a buff goose? I have limited understanding of the diluted gene and the buff color. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply. yeah I have no idea how to make that calculator work. Yes i was wondering what the colors would be. I have a breeding pair of pilgrims and a buff goose that the male pilgrim really likes. Was hoping I would be able to tell the difference in the offspring.

i think maybe I got it to work. it says 50% males: dilute, 50% females: dimorphic. So does this mean the females would still be sex linked?

i think maybe I got it to work. it says 50% males: dilute, 50% females: dimorphic. So does this mean the females would still be sex linked?
If you look off to the right there are a few different ways to view the calculator sometimes it helps. Most of what I do is sex-linked buff brown. But have been working with white African's for a year now. They have to be out-bred to improve there quality and bring white back in.
Sex linked is only when the male caries and throws the color. When I breed a brown girl to a buff boy (all pure color genetics) the boys are all brown the girls are all buff. Thouse brown boys can now throw brown and buff to both male and female equally. Thous buff girls do not carry brown they are pure buff color. When I bred a brown boy to a buff girl all the babies are brown. so I guess what Im saying is it takes a buff male to make a buff.
But I dont know what hapens when you add auto sexing which is the pilgrims.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with how the dilution gene works in Pilgrims? The dilution gene is on the Z sex chromosome, and has a dose effect. Females have sex chromosomes ZW, so they have one dilution gene. Males have sex chromosomes ZZ, so they have two dilution genes and are lighter than the females.

With your cross, the daughters each get one copy of the dilution gene from their Pilgrim father. That is correct for autosexing or "dimorphic" geese, so that is what the calculator labels them. If you breed those females to Pilgrim males, you will get 100% autosexing goslings in both genders.

The males of your cross will also have one copy of the dilution gene from their Pilgrim father, which makes them the same diluate color as their sisters. They will not be the pale double-dilute color that autosexing ("dimorphic") ganders would be, and if you use them in breeding you will not get autosexing goslings from them.

Okay I think I understand. I appreciate the information and further understanding of breeding the offspring, that is cool. But just to clarify, both gender of offspring from this pilgrim gander buff goose cross will look the same? And they will look the same as a true female pilgrim gosling? So if I hatched a batch out together, I would not be able to tell the difference?

Back
Top Bottom