Genetics of pilgrim gander crossed with a buff goose

well that is a big bummer. But with the adults, only the true female pilgrims will have the white in their face right?

well that is a big bummer. But with the adults, only the true female pilgrims will have the white in their face right?
Are you asking about your current adults, or when the crossed goslings grow up?

For the crosses, both males and females should grow up with the coloring you usually see on Pilgrim females, presumably including the white face.

(I don't have personal knowledge of geese, but I have read about goose color genetics and I think I properly understand what I've read.)

okay so basically you are saying we can create a goose that looks and breeds like a female pilgrim goose without actually breeding one? That is very interesting. But the male offspring of this cross would look just like this as well? So the issue would be sexing them. Because the buff does not also have the dilution gene. I had read cases of people who had grey geese that looked like female pilgrims but were in fact males but they did not have the white in the face so that is why i was asking if that would be missing. I wonder if the body composition and demeanor would change though as buff geese are a bit larger and have higher fat content.

okay so basically you are saying we can create a goose that looks and breeds like a female pilgrim goose without actually breeding one? That is very interesting.
Yes, that is what I am saying.

But the male offspring of this cross would look just like this as well? So the issue would be sexing them. Because the buff does not also have the dilution gene.
Yes, exactly.

I had read cases of people who had grey geese that looked like female pilgrims but were in fact males but they did not have the white in the face so that is why i was asking if that would be missing.
That is a good point, and unfortunately I don't know for sure.

I wonder if the body composition and demeanor would change though as buff geese are a bit larger and have higher fat content.
That seems possible, but again I don't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom