Gentle Flock

Zealo

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
My boss just recently gave me her Barbu d’Uccle rooster because she said it was starting to act aggressive towards her kids and was also causing her hens to go bald from him mounting them all the time. I told her to chase him around and beat him with the broom to show him who's boss, but she wasn't really into the idea of beating a naughty rooster just to show him his place. So I more than willingly took him in, seeing that I've been wanting a bantam rooster that can watch for birds of prey, and other things, for me.

The little roo is close to around the same age as my younger hens, which makes him a year old, and I was completely surprised how my girls and the roo reacted when I brought him home. When I first introduced them I had the rooster in a large dog cage in the yard. That way when I let the girls out they would be able to see him and not chase him around and harm him, cause his so much smaller then my girls. But when I let them out, they looked at him and I could tell that they gave two little **** about him, cause they continued the day like it was any other day.

So I let him out, chased him around a little and used two fingers to poke him like I was pecking him, making sure he knew his place before I let him go near the girls, and there was hardly any fuss. He'd go near a girl, she'd peck him when he'd get to close, and that was it. Accept with Mim, my Rhode island red. She's the same breed as my boss's and the rooster tried courting her, which she wasn't liking. Mim got ****** when he tried mounting her and beat the **** out him. And after that, he stayed clear from them.

My hens gave a little fuss with him being there, and they were following me around more then usual. One of my more flighty hens, who always screams when she see's me, actually kept coming up to me and squatting.

After a while I put a few of the girls back in the coop with the rooster, cause the hens needed to lay and the rooster kept trying to jump the fence. He got out once, had to chase him around, and straight in the coop he went. When I came back, he was snuggled underneath one of the girl in a nest box like a little chick, which my hen didn't seem to mind.

I've always had it really easy with integrating new chickens into my flock, but this seems just to mellow. I've always heard and seen hens from other flocks attacking new chickens, chasing them around, and that sort of thing. I know my hens are real nice with one another, they rarely display rank, and you can pick them all up without having to chase them.

The rooster, even though I haven't had him long, entertains the **** out of me. He growls randomly, and since his the first bantam I've ever had, I find all of his sounds intriguing. And with him being a Barbu d’Uccle, I find him to be so pretty. Even though I peck him with my fingers now and then, just to give him **** and keep him in his place, I've found that I can easily walk up to him, pick him up, and flip him over.

So far, things are looking pretty good for now.

Let's hope it continues that way!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom