crazyhen

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
mtns of ,NC.
Beautiful hen at 21 weeks

singlephotos2011014.jpg

Isn't she lovely

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely be keeping them around a bit longer to see how they mature. What are some of the "glaring problems" that you would cull early for?

When birds are young you can still cull for disqualifications (DQ's) but to cull for type you should wait. With the German line stubs (feathers on the feet/shanks) are a DQ and often appear early. They can be between toes or on the shanks. There are a few "blatant" DQ's/defects that you can also look for in young birds, but they are really not common in "good" stock like the German line as far as I know: crooked back/beak/breast bone or a deformed toe or beak. Also, in general birds that lack vigor when they are young will also develop into sickly adults. There is rarely an ugly duckling miracle with young birds. If they arent good young, they dont turn out good when they mature.

Also keep in mind when selecting breeders its often more about selecting the best out of many good birds vs just weeding out all the duds and ending up with your breeders. Developing an "eye" for your breed is what brings the art to this hobby. For me I have an old print of a male and female Hamp framed and right next to my desk. I love the look of the birds in this old print and when I look at my own birds I judge them against these. Some day I will be able to frame a photo of my own birds next to this print and I hope no one can tell that the photo was taken 75 years after Schilling drew the print!

Another thing to consider is what are your 2 breeding goals for this season? My mentors taught me that you can quickly get lost looking at every single factor with a bird. Instead set a few goals for yourself and focus on them. For my own Hamps I am focusing on two main goals: 1) increasing size; and 2) increasing depth of keel. Of course you should always eliminate DQ's along the way. Once I have accomplished what I feel is acceptable size and depth of keel I will set two more goals and focus on them until they are accomplished. Just the way I do culling.

Cheers,
Mike

It sounds like you are enjoying your NHs Robert, and are doing a good job evaluating them. I like the weights at the 5 month mark. George's advice and mentoring is priceless.

I have two groups of younger birds I am still evaluating, but so far have kept these two pullets. They are 26 weeks and are not laying yet. The cockerel from George really helped put some front end on them.

Took two of the offspring from the birds I got indirectly from Kathy Bonham last year to a show this weekend. 1100 bird show, still early in the season, but a 7mno NH male was best American and the other NH I brought was res American. She is the same age. The birds this season are growing much more rapidly than last years birds. I can't believe how fast the males are growing. last year it took over 11 mo's to fill out. Fed the same thing as last year. This is a remarkable breed! Judges who were showing at this show sure liked them. The type and color. IMO this was not a strong American class, but it was an opportunity to have other judges see them in person.....not a "Looks like a brown bird" comment in the lot. I loved their comments and they loved the two birds. Will post pictures later.

Walt

Nice mixture!!
So you don't separate the sexes for growout?
Or do these just coop in together at night and 'free range' during the day??

I would like to ask a question: I have been constantly hearing reference to American NH., and German NH. What is the difference between the two? Also, what is the cause of the difference? Are both German and American birds were created with the same combination of breeds? Or, is the difference the end result of selective breeding?

Would it be possible for someone to post photos of both to be able to see the difference?

Thank you!

Lual
Personally, I would like the German label to disappear. Many have been crossed and the label is over used. Many called "German" are crosses.

To be clear, they are New Hampshires. Not American or German New Hampshires. It is not as if they are different breeds. "German" has been a convenient label to describe the strain that you see so much influence from. The STRAIN was developed and imported from Germany. They did well with them, an American breed. We did not. Well ... accept maybe some bantams.

I saw that on FB good job Walt the NHs are kicking tail this year. COOL

Steven Gribble(sgribble) just won champ of the NH meet at the Knoxville show this past weekend too he followed her win up with reserved champ cockerel he went there with both barrels ready. He also had some good placements in the overall show with his RIReds too.

Jeff

Great! Every win is a good thing for the New Hamps.

7 shows so far here and the worst placing was one Res American, best result-Res of Show. None of these are Fair shows......all have been California National points shows. The wins have been about equal between the boys and the girls. I have shown 10 different birds. I plan on showing 5 females and 5 males at the largest show here in the west at the end of January. They will all be 11 months old by then so pretty much at their full potential.

Walt

10734135_10204012054514219_3605826399040219668_n.jpg

Almost ready for my first show Sat. These cockerals have kicked my but this week trying to keep them calm getting their large/heavy bodies into and out of the cage door. Once in or out they were perfectly calm from day one. I have bruises, scratches and a bite and it takes every bit of my strength to hold their wings next their bodies. Nothing like getting hit about the face and ears with large powerfull wings. Is this one of the dirty little secrets to showing large fowl??? :) Honestly, I am loving every bit of it!!!

Back
Top Bottom