German New Hampshire

I got a few 9 month old NH pullets bred by Jeremy Woeppel (GNH x Good shepherd hens) that are a tad over 7 lbs. I had the scales out for some birds I am taking to the Tucson show this weekend. I need to have my partner weigh the cockerel...Of course, he's decidely bigger.
big_smile.png
Definitely mature fast...I actually have one pullet coming out of a full on molt at 9 months. She has not produced eggs during the molt...but the rest are laying very well (5/week) in November even.

I got a few 9 month old NH pullets bred by Jeremy Woeppel (GNH x Good shepherd hens) that are a tad over 7 lbs. I had the scales out for some birds I am taking to the Tucson show this weekend. I need to have my partner weigh the cockerel...Of course, he's decidely bigger. :D  Definitely mature fast...I actually have one pullet coming out of a full on molt at 9 months. She has not produced eggs during the molt...but the rest are laying very well (5/week) in November even. 

Cindy good luck with the show, keep us posted.

Scott

One of my Good Sheppard cross pullets who is 8 months old is molting. Cindy mentioned that she had one of the same breeding molt also. I find that this is very unusual considering her age other then there normal light molts when they are growing up. Does anybody else have chickens that molt there first year.? I can not remember ever having one.

Scott

One of my Good Sheppard cross pullets who is 8 months old is molting. Cindy mentioned that she had one of the same breeding molt also. I find that this is very unusual considering her age other then there normal light molts when they are growing up. Does anybody else have chickens that molt there first year.? I can not remember ever having one.

Scott
Yes some do. I have had couple of those XW crosses go through a mini molt like. It's not a written in stone/given that all chickens molt at 18 mo. they can molt whenever Scott it is a seasonal deal as much as a timing thing. Less light hours, less food intake/change up in diets (due to seasonal circumstances) can trigger an early molt. The show guys know how to artificially trick one(by dietary means) into a molt at a certain time of the year so they will be in new feather at show time(preimo condition)
wink.png
Most of my roosters molt way earlier than the girls they don't wait til the dead of winter to do so
roll.png
hu.gif
LOL

Jeff

It was 14 below at 5 this morning. Scooped some snow, threw out a little scratch and out they came (8:30). They have been cooped up for a day or two, must of been bored. New Hampshire's are not afraid of the cold.
[/IMG]

It was 14 below at 5 this morning. Scooped some snow, threw out a little scratch and out they came (8:30). They have been cooped up for a day or two, must of been bored. New Hampshire's are not afraid of the cold.
[/IMG]

They really are nice birds! Sounds like you are getting along with them OK. You are right it has been cold but they do not seem to mind it. Thank goodness we are not as cold as you are.

Scott

I attended the Pelican State Classic in Haynesville, LA on November 23rd and won Champion American with my New Hampshire Pullet and Reserve Champion American with my New Hampshire Cockerel.
It was a decent sized class with some Plymouth Rocks and Delawares. Not a huge win, but a win none-the-less.
I am taking these two to the Panhandle Poultry Club's winter show in Pensacola December 14th. I don't expect to do much there though: That is Matt Ulrich's home club and he has nice New Hampshires and killer RIR...lol.

My daughter showed this same pullet on November 9th at our club's show, the Gulf South Fall Classic in Baton Rouge, LA. She won Champion American and Reserve Champion Large Fowl with her.

Not a great photo, but the pullet at the Baton Rouge show.

Last edited:
I attended the Pelican State Classic in Haynesville, LA on November 23rd and won Champion American with my New Hampshire Pullet and Reserve Champion American with my New Hampshire Cockerel. It was a decent sized class with some Plymouth Rocks and Delawares. Not a huge win, but a win none-the-less. I am taking these two to the Panhandle Poultry Club's winter show in Pensacola December 14th. I don't expect to do much there though: That is Matt Ulrich's home club and he has nice New Hampshires and killer RIR...lol. My daughter showed this same pullet on November 9th at our club's show, the Gulf South Fall Classic in Baton Rouge, LA. She won Champion American and Reserve Champion Large Fowl with her. Not a great photo, but the pullet at the Baton Rouge show. GOOD JOB, 1MrsMagoo. Always glad to hear kids showing chickens. Thanks for posting and keep us informed. Way to go New Hamps!!! Scott

Back
Top Bottom